UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Indian Coast Guard Ships
In this topic of the day post, you can read about Indian coast guard ships (ICGS), for the UPSC exam.
Indian Coast Guard Ships
- These are eighteenth and nineteenth in the series of twenty fast Patrol Vehicles (FPVs).
ICGS Ships Aryaman and Atulya
- Aryaman and Atulya have been built by Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- Aryaman will be based at Vishakhapatnam and Atulya will be based at Kochi.
- Special features include Integrated Bridge Management System (IBMS) and Integrated Machinery Control System (IMCS).
- Integrated bridge system (IBS) is a kind of navigation management system which links other systems to provide all the details pertaining to ship’s navigation at one place.
- The ships are equipped with state-of-the-art machinery, navigational equipment and advanced communication.
- They can be used for various jobs such as surveillance, search, rescue and interdiction.
Indian Coast Guard Ship C-422
- It is among the 36 interceptor boats being built for the Coast Guard.
- It has been designed and built indigenously by M/s. Larsen and Toubro Ltd.
- The 27.80-m-long boat can achieve a maximum speed of 45 knots. It is equipped with two diesel engines and will have an endurance of 500 nautical miles.
- It is also fitted with state-of-the-art communication and navigational equipment. The interceptor boat is capable of undertaking multifarious tasks such as surveillance, interdiction, search and rescue and coordinated operations with sea and air units.
For more on General Studies Paper III, click here.
Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS)
- The defence system at naval harbor in Kochi has a state-of-the-art automated system capable of tracking, identifying, detecting and generating warning for surface and underwater threats.
- It will enable operators to foresee, and respond to, surface and sub-surface threats to vital assets along the harbor and warships in the quay.
- The system comprises a cluster of coastal surveillance radars, high-power underwater sensors and diver detection sonars.
- Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI) ELTA was involved in designing IUHDSS.
- The IUHDSS, along with the specialised Sagar Prahari Bal, would help in augmenting security of the coast around the naval installations in Kochi.
- It will relay images to the multi-agency Joint Operations Centre (JOC).