PM launches National Nutrition Mission
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, launched the National Nutrition Mission, and expansion of the coverage of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme, at Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan.
- The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of National Nutrition Mission (NNM) with a three year budget of Rs.9046.17 crore commencing from 2017-18.
- The programme through the targets will strive to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies. It will create synergy, ensure better monitoring, issue alerts for timely action, and encourage States/UTs to perform, guide and supervise the line Ministries and States/UTs to achieve the targeted goals.
- More than 10 crore people will be benefitted by this programme.All the States and districts will be covered in a phased manner i.e. 315 districts in 2017-18, 235 districts in 2018-19 and remaining districts in 2019-20.
Capacity Development for Election Management
- It is a 12-day training programme.
- The India International Institute for Democracy and Election Management (IIIDEM) is conducting the training programme.
- It is been organized under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) programme of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India.
- As many as 29 senior and mid-level officials from EMBs of 21 ITEC countries are participating in the programme.
- It is a 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin, under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
- The affordable sanitary napkin will be available for Rs. 2.50 per pad at over 3200 Janaushadhi Kendras across India and would ensure ‘Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha’for the underprivileged Women of India.
- This step taken by the Department of Pharmaceuticals will ensure the achievement of Prime Minster Shri Narendra Modi’s vision of Affordable and Quality Healthcare for All.
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses.
Swachh Shakti 2018
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, in association with the Government of Uttar Pradesh, organized a Women’s Convention called Swachh Shakti 2018.
- It was organized on the occasion of International Women’s Day, at Luckno
- 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrahis and women champions from other walks of life from across the country were recognised for their outstanding contribution towards making a Swachh Bharat.
- It is a CSC Initiative for Promoting Women’s Health and Hygiene.
- The workshop showcased the impact and progress made by the Women Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs) in promoting women’s health and hygiene among the poor and marginalized communities in India, through the Common Services Centres (CSCs).
- women VLEs, who have set up sanitary napkin units under Stree Swabhiman project, in advancing women’s health and hygiene in rural areas, apart from enhancing women’s empowerment.
I – Metros
- “I-METROS” is an association of all Indian Metro Rail companies.
- It was launched by Sh. P K Sinha, Cabinet Secretary, Government of India at the Conference on “Indian Metros: Collaborating for Excellence” held at Metro Bhawan.
- The platform will be a forum for exchange of ideas, pooling of knowledge and sharing of experience, best practices, innovations etc. among the Indian Metro Rail companies to nurture excellence in performance.
- This society will be registered under Society Registration Act-1860.
- The objective of forming this association is to provide a common platform for all Metro rail companies for sharing experience, information, best practices, innovations etc.
- This association will also undertake and promote techno-economic studies and research. It will safeguard the interest and rights of metro rail companies and will be resource tank of information for decision making.
- Cabinet Secretary Sh. P K Sinha also released “The Operator’s Story”- a publication by World Bank and Railway and Transport Strategy Centre (RTSC), Imperial College London, on findings of the research on “What makes Metros successful”.
Udyam Sakhi Portal
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) launched a portal for women entrepreneurs of India.
- India has around 8 million women who have started and are running their own businesses and the Ministry of MSME believes that the women in India can play a vital role in the growth of the Indian economy.
- The portal is a network for nurturing entrepreneurship and creating business models for low cost products and services in order to empower women and make them self-reliant and self-sufficient.
- The portal provides assistance through its platform for entrepreneurship learning tools, incubation facility, training programs for fund raising, providing mentors, and one-on-one investor meet, provide market survey facility and technical assistance.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.