Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Fourth United Nations Environment Assembly.
India pilots resolutions on Single-use Plastics and Sustainable Nitrogen management at Fourth United Nations Environment Assembly.
In a significant first, India piloted resolutions on two important global environment issues relating to Single-use Plastics and Sustainable Nitrogen management at the fourth session of United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) which was held in Nairobi. UNEA adopted both the resolutions with consensus.
The theme of the UNEA 2019:
Innovative Solutions for environmental challenges and sustainable production and consumption.
Why this resolution is important?
- The global nitrogen use efficiency is low, resulting in pollution by reactive nitrogen which threatens human health, eco system services, contributes to climate change and stratospheric ozone depletion.
- Only a small proportion of the plastics produced globally are recycled with most of it damaging the environment and aquatic bio-diversity.
- Both these are global challenges and the resolutions piloted by India at the UNEA are vital first steps towards addressing these issues and attracting focus of the global community.
Panel discussion on climate finance:
- The Indian delegation also participated in the panel discussion on “Need for additional commitments of public finance and the ways to maximize mobilization of climate finance”.
- It was highlighted that climate finance is an important lever for climate action related to both mitigation and adaption in the developing countries.
- The contributions to climate finance need to be in consonance with the basic principles of common but differentiated responsibility and respective capabilities (CBDR-RC).
- Climate finance is more of an obligation of the developed countries, based on their historical emissions. The availability of sufficient, additional and predictable climate finance is a key for action.
- Importantly, the lack of pledged funds I n Green Climate Fund and the potential reliance on private sector has been highlighted by many developing countries. India has been initiating domestic climate actions, both related to climate change mitigation and adaptation, primarily through its own financial resources.
- There is a sense of urgency for financial support to developing countries, which have not been so responsible for these global environmental concerns.
About UN Environment Assembly:
- The United Nations Environment Assembly is the world’s highest-level decision-making body on the environment.
- It addresses the critical environmental challenges facing the world today. Understanding these challenges and preserving and rehabilitating our environment is at the heart of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- The Environment Assembly meets biennially to set priorities for global environmental policies and develop international environmental law. Through its resolutions and calls to action, the Assembly provides leadership and catalyses intergovernmental action on the environment. Decision-making requires broad participation, which is why the Assembly provides an opportunity for all peoples to help design solutions for our planet’s health.
The United Nations Environment Assembly was created in June 2012, when world leaders called for UN Environment to be strengthened and upgraded during the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, also referred to as RIO+20.
|World Environment Day|
|United Nations Principal Organs And Its Affiliates|
|United Nations Organization|