Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
MRSAM Firing Trials
The Indian Navy achieved a significant milestone in enhancing its Anti Air Warfare Capability with the maiden cooperative engagement firing of the Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM).
Cooperative engagement firing
- The firing was undertaken on the western seaboard by the INS Kochi and the INS Chennai.
- The missiles of both ships were controlled by one ship to intercept different aerial targets at extended ranges.
- Is an Indian-Israeli surface-to-air missile (SAM), designed to defend against any type of airborne threat including aircraft, helicopters, anti-ship missiles, and UAVs as well as ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and combat jets.
- Barak 8 was jointly developed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), India’s Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO), Israel’s Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure, Elta Systems, Rafael and other companies.
- Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) produces the missiles.