- At least six people have died from the mysterious new “Nipah virus” in Kerala’s Kozhikode.
- In view of the rising number of cases and reported deaths due to Nipah Virus in Kozhikode, Kerala, Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare has assured all support to the Kerala Government and has directed a multi-disciplinary Central team from National Centre for Disease Control to immediately visit the state.
About Nipah virus
- Nipah virus (NiV) infection is a newly emerging zoonosis that causes severe disease in both animals and humans.
- The natural host of the virus are fruit bats of the Pteropodidae Family, Pteropus genus.
- NiV was first identified during an outbreak of disease that took place in Kampung Sungai Nipah, Malaysia in 1998.
- NiV infection in humans has a range of clinical presentations, from asymptomatic infection to acute respiratory syndrome and fatal encephalitis.
- NiV is also capable of causing disease in pigs and other domestic animals.
- There is no vaccine for either humans or animals. The primary treatment for human cases is intensive supportive care.
India receives the 1st cargo of ADNOC crude oil for its Mangalore Startegic Petroleum Reserve
- India has received the 1stcargo of UAE crude oil for filling up one of the two Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) caverns built by Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserve Ltd (ISPRL) at Mangalore.
- In February 2018, during the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to UAE, ISPRL and ADNOC (Abu Dhabi National Oil Company) signed an Agreement under which ADNOC will store about 5.86 million barrels of crude oil in India’s SPR facility at Mangalore at its own cost.
- ADNOC’s investment by way of crude oil in Indian SPR facility is the first time that a private foreign entity, is filling up an Indian SPR cavern with crude oil.
- The government of India under phase I of SPR programme has built crude oil storage facilities with total capacity of 5.33 million tonnes (around 39 million barrels) at three locations viz. Vishakhapatnam, Mangalore and Padur.
- UAE is the 6thlargest crude oil source for India and supplies around 6 % of the petroleum requirement.
- With the recent acquisition of 10% stake in UAE’s Lower Zakhum offshore producing field by Indian public sector oil and gas companies and the investment by ADNOC in Indian SPR facility, the hydrocarbon sector engagements between India and UAE have transformed from buyer-seller relationship to strategic partners in the energy sector.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus building
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (earlier Victoria Terminus) has completed 130 years of its construction on 20th May 2018.
- The present-day headquarters building of Central Railway popularly known as Victoria Terminus (now Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus) is an architectural marvel.
- This magnificent monument was originally planned as the office of GIP (Great Indian Peninsular) Railway.
- This is the most photographed building after Taj Mahal, and was designed by Frederick William Stevens, a consulting architect.
- The construction started in 1878 and on Jubilee Day in 1887, it was named after Queen Empress Victoria.
- Later in 1996, it was renamed as Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. It was again renamed as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus in July 2017.
- In 2004, UNESCO has enlisted this building as World Heritage Site for its architectural splendour.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.