- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today chaired his twenty-sixth interaction through PRAGATI – the ICT-based, multi-modal platform for Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation.
- The 25 PRAGATI meetings so far have seen a cumulative review of 227 projects with a total investment of over Rs. 10 lakh crore.
- In the twenty-sixth meeting, the Prime Minister reviewed the progress towards handling and resolution of grievances related to post offices, and railways.
- He stressed on the importance of increasing digital transactions across the postal and rail networks, especially using the BHIM App.
- PRAGATI (Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation) is a multi-purpose and multi-modal platform.
- The platform is aimed at addressing common man’s grievances, and simultaneously monitoring and reviewing important programmes and projects of the Government of India as well as projects flagged by State Governments.
NIDM Centre to help Southern States build infrastructure to tackle multiple disaster challenges
- National Institute of Disaster Management will help Southern States build infrastructure to tackle multiple disaster challenges
- Nearly 59% of India’s land area is prone to earthquakes of moderate to very high intensity. Over 40 million hectares (12% of land), is prone to floods, about 5700 kms coast line is cyclone prone and exposed to tsunamis and storm surges, 2% of land is landslide prone, and 68% of India’s arable land is affected by droughts.
- So there is a need for a disaster resilient infrastructure and provide life-line services to the most vulnerable communities.
- Disaster Management approach is a multi-disciplinary process, the Ministry of Home Affairs has been mandated to play role of coordination as the Administrative Ministry.
- Recent success of early warning and preparedness was demonstrated during the cyclones ‘Phailin’ ‘Hudhud’ in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh respectively.
- India is a party to the Sendai framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (2015-30), which has now provides a more practical and useful document with people-centered preventive approach to disaster risk.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.