Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Air Chief Marshal pays homage to the air warriors
- Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa, Chief of the Air Staff, led a four aircraft, MiG-21 ‘Missing Man’ formation, to honour sacrifice of men killed in action during Operation Safed Sagar at Kargil.
Operation Safed Sagar
- Operation Safed Sagar was the code name assigned to the Indian Air Force’s role in acting jointly with Ground troops during the Kargil war
- The operation was aimed at flushing out Regular and Irregular troops of the Pakistani Army from vacated Indian Positions in the Kargil sector along the Line of Control.
‘Missing Man’ formation
- The ‘Missing Man’ formation is an aerial salute accorded to honour the fallen comrades-in-arms.
- This is an Arrow Formation, with a gap between two aircraft in the formation depicting the – Missing Man.
DRDO successfully test fires AKASH
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test fired AKASH-MK-1S missile.
- Akash Mk1S is an upgrade of existing AKASH missile with indigenous Seeker.
- AKASH Mk1S is a surface to air missile which can neutralize advanced aerial targets.
- The Akash weapon system has combination of both command guidance and active terminal seeker guidance.