Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
- Commerce Secretary, Dr. Anup Wadhawan, had a bilateral meeting with Mr. Wang Shouwen, Vice Minister of China’s Commerce Minister in Shanghai.
- The Commerce Secretary acknowledged Chinese Government’s efforts in clearing some of the market access issues such as for rice and rapeseed meal during the past few months and expressed satisfaction over progress on soya bean meal and pomegranate and related issues.
- He also informed Mr. Wang about the encouraging response to the business promotion events organized by the Indian Embassy and Consulates covering products like sugar, rice, tea and oil meals.
- Wadhawan requested Mr. Wang to provide MOFCOM’s guidance to its importers to source these products from India.
- Areas like agriculture products, pharmaceuticals, information technology services and tourism in which India has proven strengths and significant global presence but minuscule presence in China, need to be encouraged in bilateral trade.
- A detailed discussion with important sugar importers of China including China Sugar Association and briefed them about India’s sugar sector and its proven available capacity in terms of both, quality as well as quantity, to meet the Chinese requirements on a sustained long term basis.
- These meetings would be helpful in tapping this major import market for Indian sugar.
Pilot Ganga Grams
- Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation Ms. Uma Bharati has said that maintaining sustainable behavior towards better sanitation is everyone’s responsibility.
- She was speaking in Ganga Gram Swachchhata Sammelan at Chyavan Rishi Ashram in Chousa Village of Buxar district in Bihar yesterday.
- About four thousands Swachhagrahis, Ganga volunteers, youth organization members, students, women groups and people from all walks of life attended the sammelan.
- She appreciated the efforts made by district team, Panchayat representatives towards making Buxar district ODF.
- She underlined that India has shown to the world the commitment of the Government and achieved national sanitation coverage from a lowly 39 per cent to over 95 per cent.
- She urged people to participate in SLWM activities, not to litter around and pollute water sources, take care of their waste management and promote organic farming.
- Ganga Gram is a concept to transform the villages on the bank of river Ganga into ideal villages with emphasis on Open Defecation Free, Solid and Liquid Waste Management, Water Conservation, Ground Water Recharge, modern crematorium, tree plantation, organic and medicinal plants.
- After declaration of all 4465 Ganga Bank villages as ODF, the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation is working in the direction of sustaining the ODF status of this area.
International Film Festival of India (IFFI)
- The 49th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2018 will be held in Goa from 20th to 28th November, 2018.
- 49th edition of the festival will showcase 212 films from over 68 countries which reflects diversity of taste.
- The International Film Festival of India (IFFI), founded in 1952, is one of the most significant film festivals in Asia.
- It is held annually, currently in the state of Goa, on the western coast of the country.
- The festival aims at providing a common platform for the cinemas of the world to project the excellence of the film art; contributing to the understanding and appreciation of film cultures of different nations in the context of their social and cultural ethos; and promoting friendship and cooperation among people of the world.
- The festival is conducted jointly by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Directorate of Film Festivals and the Government of Goa.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.