Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
November 13th, 2019 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Exercise Dustlik-2019 2. Exercise Shakti– 2019 3. CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTech) 4. Consumer Price Index Numbers for the month of October 2019
The inaugural Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training Exercise (FTX)-2019, Exercise DUSTLIK-2019 culminated after ten days of joint training with the Uzbekistan Army.
For more on Exercise Dustlik 2019, check PIB dated 3rd Nov 2019.
Exercise Shakti– 2019
The closing ceremony of the joint military exercise between the Indian and French Armies, Exercise ‘SHAKTI-2019’ was held at Rajasthan.
For more on Shakti – 2019, check PIB dated 28th Oct 2019.
CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTech)
CSIR-IMTECH signs MOU with IIT Bombay for collaborative research.
About CSIR – IMTech:
- CSIR-IMTech is a national centre for excellence in microbial sciences.
- Its vision is to discover and develop translational products and new drugs to address key unmet societal and medical needs.
- It is one among the chain of 38 national laboratories, 6 units and 39 outreach centres of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR).
- It was established in 1984.
- The scientists in CSIR – IMTech work in basic and application-oriented broad thematic areas of molecular biology and microbial genetics, cell biology and immunology, protein science and engineering, and fermentation technology and applied microbiology.
- Specific areas of expertise include cloning & expression of recombinant/engineered proteins & their scale-up, understanding/manipulating proteins and their engineering, protein structure determination through X-ray crystallography, molecular microbiology of pathogens especially with respect to drug resistance & vaccine development, immunology of infectious diseases, yeast genetics, screening of microorganisms for novel enzymatic activities and strain improvement, bioinformatics & high end computational biology, microbial taxonomy and metagenomics, and allied areas like technology and business management and intellectual property protection.
- It is located in Chandigarh.
To know more about the CSIR, check PIB dated 26th Sep 2019.
Consumer Price Index Numbers for the month of October 2019
The National Statistical Office (NSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation has released the CPI (Rural, Urban, Combined) on Base 2012=100 for the month of October 2019.
- In addition to the CPI, the Consumer Food Price Index (CFPI) for all India Rural, Urban and Combined was also released, for October 2019.
- All India Inflation rates (on point to point basis i.e. current month over same month of last year, i.e., October 2019 over October 2018), based on General Indices and CFPIs have also been released.
All India Inflation rates (%) based on CPI (General) and CFPI:
|Indices||Oct. 2019 (Prov.)||Sep. 2019 (Final)||Oct. 2018 (Final)|
- Inflation touched 4.62%, according to the data released, as compared to 3.99% in September 2019.
- Inflation, as measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), was 3.38% in October last year.
- Consumer Food price inflation, which amounts to half of the inflation basket, increased to 7.89% compared to 5.1% in the previous month.
- Core inflation which excludes energy and food items slowed to a 94-month low of 3.47% in comparison to 4% a month ago reflecting the slowdown in the economy.
- Meanwhile, pulses inflation shot up to 11.72% from 8.4% and vegetable inflation jumped to 26% from 11.4%.
- Inflation Rate in India averaged 5.98 percent from 2012 until 2019, reaching an all-time high of 12.17 percent in November of 2013 and a record low of 1.54 percent in June of 2017.
Consumer Price Index (CPI):
- The Consumer Price Index or CPI is the measure of changes in the price level of a basket of consumer goods and services bought by households.
- The CPI is a numerical estimation calculated using the rates of a sample of representative objects the prices of which are gathered periodically.
- The annual percentage change in a CPI is used as a measure of inflation.
|UPSC 2020||UPSC Current Affairs|
|Monthly Magazine for UPSC Current Affairs||UPSC Current Affairs Quiz|
|Government Exams||UPSC Prelims Exam|
November 13th, 2019 PIB:- Download PDF Here
Read more PIB articles here.