Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
World Tourism Day-2019
The Vice President Shri Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the World Tourism Day-2019 celebrations in New Delhi.
- India was selected as the host country for the celebration of World Tourism Day 2019 by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). It is for the first time that India is hosting this celebration.
- The programme was organised by the Ministry of Tourism in New Delhi, and the India National Tourism Awards for the year 2019 were distributed.
- India is placed at the 34th position out of 140 economies, in the World Economic Forum’s ‘World Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Rank’ in 2019.
About World Tourism Day:
- World Tourism Day is observed on 27th September every year with celebrations led by UNWTO.
- Its purpose is to foster awareness among the global community of tourism’s social, cultural, political and economic value and the contribution the sector can make in reaching the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The theme for 2019: ‘Tourism and Jobs: a better future for all’.
- The theme for 2018 was ‘Tourism and Cultural Protection’.
- The first World Tourism Day was observed in 1980.
- The date of September 27th was selected because this was the day on which the UNWTO’s constitution was adopted in 1970.
About the UNWTO:
- It is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
- The organisation promotes tourism as a driver of economic growth, inclusive development and environmental sustainability and offers leadership and support to the sector in advancing knowledge and tourism policies worldwide.
- UNWTO encourages the implementation of the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism, to maximize tourism’s socio-economic contribution while minimizing its possible negative impacts, and is committed to promoting tourism as an instrument in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- UNWTO’s membership includes 158 countries, 6 Associate Members and over 500 Affiliate Members. India is a member.
- It is headquartered in Madrid, Spain.
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) celebrated its 15th Formation Day.
- On the occasion, the guidelines on Disability-Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction were launched.
- These guidelines strive to make risk reduction initiatives more inclusive.
- The theme for the 15th Formation Day was Fire Safety.
About the NDMA:
- The NDMA was founded in 2005 by the Government of India which enacted the Disaster Management Act that envisaged the creation of the organisation.
- It is an agency of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The NDMA’s chief purpose is to coordinate response to natural or man-made disasters and for capacity-building in disaster resiliency and crisis response.
- It is the apex body for disaster management in the country.
- It lays down policies for disaster management, sets up guidelines that are to be followed by the state authorities, coordinates the enforcement and implementation of the national disaster plans, and takes measures for the prevention of disasters, or the mitigation, or preparedness and capacity building for dealing with threatening disaster situations or disasters.
Internship with eminent educational institutions to be extended to meritorious students of J&K
The AICTE and IIT Guwahati have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for extending internships to students from Jammu and Kashmir and students studying in AICTE approved institutions across the country under Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme.
- Under this MoU, IIT Guwahati will enrol 100 meritorious students from Jammu and Kashmir in batches of 25, for internship at IIT Guwahati.
- The objective of the MoU is to provide an exposure to the youth from Jammu and Kashmir to the academic culture at higher learning institutes of India.
About the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE):
- The AICTE was set up in 1945 as a national-level apex advisory body to conduct a survey on the facilities available for technical education and to promote development in the country in a coordinated and integrated manner.
- The All India Council For Technical Education Act 1987 was constituted to provide for the establishment of an All India Council for Technical Education with a view to proper planning and co-ordinated development of a technical education system throughout the country.
- Other objectives include the promotion of qualitative improvements of such education in relation to planned quantitative growth, and regulation and proper maintenance of norms and standards in the technical education system and for the matters connected therewith.
- AICTE’s purview covers technical education in the fields of engineering, technology, architecture, town planning, management, pharmacy, applied arts and crafts, hotel management and catering technology, etc.
The Aadi Mahotsav is being held in Noida.
About the Aadi Mahotsav:
- It is a national tribal festival that showcases tribal art, crafts, culture, commerce and cuisine in a holistic manner.
- It is organised by ‘TRIBES India’, which is a GOI initiative under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs for the welfare of over 700 Indian tribes.
- The scheme of the festival is A celebration of the spirit of Tribal Culture, Craft, Cuisine and Commerce.
- The chief objective behind holding this event is to provide an opportunity to tribal artisans to interact directly with art & craft lovers while getting their feedback about their taste and preferences.
- This will also help the artisans improve their creations.
- It is also an attempt to preserve the art and culture of the tribal community of India.
- It is an exhibition-cum-sale where more than 200 tribal artisans and artists from all over India are showcasing their skills.
- For the first time, the tribal artisans will be accepting payment through major credit/debit cards for which Point of Sale (POS) machines have been provided in each stall.
- A special training was conducted by the State Bank of India for smooth operations in this regard.
- TRIBES India has signed the MoUs with Amazon, Snapdeal, Flipkart, PayTM and GEM, a government of India portal for e-commerce of the tribal products.
|UPSC 2020||UPSC Current Affairs|
|Monthly Magazine for UPSC Current Affairs||UPSC Current Affairs Quiz|
Read previous PIB articles here.