Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA)-India and Singapore
- The launch of the review signals further deepening of business, economic and trade collaboration between the two countries.
- Both countries also discussed ways to further promote trade of goods, services and boosting investments.
- Singapore is the second largest trading partner of India within ASEAN and India is the largest trading partner of Singapore in South Asia, with a bilateral trade of USD 17.7 billion in 2017-18.
Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP)
- It is a proposed free trade agreement (FTA) ASEAN plus Three (People’s Republic of China, Japan, and South Korea), Australia, India, and New Zealand.
- RCEP negotiations were formally launched in November 2012 at the ASEAN Summit in Cambodia.
- RCEP will cover trade in goods, trade in services, investment, economic and technical co-operation, intellectual property, competition, dispute settlement and other issues.
- It aims to boost goods trade by eliminating most tariff and non-tariff
- Expected to provide the region’s consumers greater choice of quality products at affordable rates.
- It also seeks to liberalize investment norms and do away with services trade restrictions
NITI Aayog’s MOVE Cyclathon
- NITI Aayog today flagged off MOVE Cyclathon, a cycle rally to promote cleaner, accessible modes of transport
- ‘Mobility Week’ will see 17 events in 7 days—from 31 August to 6 September 2018. These events will facilitate interactions with various stakeholders across the mobility domain.
- It will help drive the government’s goals for vehicle electrification, renewable energy integration, and job growth and also speed up India’s transition to a clean energy economy.
- Participants include global and Indian leaders from across the mobility sector such as OEMs, battery manufacturers, charging infrastructure providers, technology solution providers, representatives from the Indian government as well as foreign governments, various inter-governmental organizations, academia, and policy think tanks.
- The Summit, which is the first of its kind, with over 1,200 participants expected from across the world including leaders from the government, industry, research organizations, academia, think tanks and civil society.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.