Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
President Kovind in Cyprus
- The President said that India’s overriding mission is its economic growth and modernisation, with the fruits of development reaching all sections of our people.
International Solar Alliance:
- The President said that earlier this year India co-founded and hosted the inaugural conference of the International Solar Alliance.
- The ISA is central to our effort to mobilise international resources and technologies to combat climate change. The scope for renewable energy is immense and will be crucial to checking rising temperatures and rising seas. He invited Cyprus to become part of the ISA family.
- Two bilateral agreements were signed; the first, between the Financial Intelligence Unit, India, and Unit for Combating Money Laundering of Cyprus, aims at sharing financial intelligence and fighting money laundering, terror financing and related crimes.
- The second agreement commits both countries to greater cooperation on environmental issues.
71st Session of the WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia
- “India has fast-tracked many initiatives aimed at achieving all the core tenets of Universal Health Coverage i.e, strengthening health systems, improving access to free medicines & diagnostics and reducing catastrophic healthcare spending”, this was stated by Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare.
- India has recently launched the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya scheme under the ambitious programme called ‘Ayushman Bharat‘ i.e. Long live India, one of the central pillars of this year’s budget.
- India has already initiated universal screening for prevention and management of five common NCDs including hypertension, diabetes and three common Cancers of oral cavity, breast and cervix at pan India level.
- AMRIT Deendayal, an acronym for ‘Affordable Medicines & Reliable Implants for Treatment’ – Centres that provide medicines for cancer & cardiovascular diseases and cardiac implants at significantly reduced prices.
- Jan Aushadhi (peoples’ medicines) stores are also now open to make available quality affordable essential medicines to people in need.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.