Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
2nd World Hindu Conference 2018
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that Swami Vivekananda was an embodiment of Hindu Culture and his messages that are relevant till today reverberate across India.
- He was addressing the valedictory session of the 2nd World Hindu Conference 2018, in Chicago, USA, in commemoration of 125th year of Swami Vivekananda’s address at Parliament of the World’s Religions in 1893 held in Chicago.
- Indian culture is eternally relevant, timeless and time-tested.
- India believes not only in universal toleration but we accept all religions as true;
- Preserving the invaluable heritage of India is true nationalism;
- In a world of unprecedented changes, India can provide a sheet anchor and a spiritual compass;
- In a world that is filled with bitterness, India could provide honey of wisdom gathered from different flowers by different bees;
- The best thermometer to the progress of a nation is its treatment of its women.
Three projects in Bangladesh
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, Chief Minister of West Bengal – Ms. Mamata Banerjee, and the Chief Minister of Tripura – Shri Biplab Kumar Deb, today jointly inaugurated three projects in Bangladesh, via video conference.
- (a) 500 MW additional power supply from India to Bangladesh, through the existing Bheramara (Bangladesh) – Baharampur (India) interconnection.
- (b) Akhaura – Agartala Rail Link
- (c) Rehabilitation of the Kulaura-Shahbazpur section of Bangladesh Railways.
- The Inaugural Military Field Training Exercise for the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi Sectoral Technological and Economic Cooperation nations named MILEX-18 scheduled from 10 September 18 to 16 September 18 started with a Grand Opening Ceremony on 10 September 18 at Aundh Military Station.
- To practice the BIMSTEC Nations in planning and conduct of counter-terrorist operations.
- The exercise schedule is focused upon learning of best practices, team building & special tactical level operations in a counter-terrorist environment in semi-urban setting.
- The inaugural edition of the BIMSTEC MILEX 18 was carried out in all Military grandeur, razor edge precision and with the complete sanctity that a Military Parade should display.
228 National Awards will be given for outstanding works in RD schemes
- Ministry of Rural Development implements various flagship programmes; all aimed at poverty alleviation:
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Schemes (MGNREGS) to provide wage employment and asset creation,
- Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G) for rural housing,
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) for rural roads,
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM) for rural livelihoods,
- Deen Dayal Upadhyay Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU GKY) for skill development of rural youth,
- National Rurban Mission (NRuM) etc.
- To recognize the outstanding works carried out by the States, Districts, Blocks, organizations and Individuals in the implementation of various Programmes and to instill healthy competition among them for better implementation and performance in future, the Ministry of Rural Development is organizing a National Awards Function on 11th September, 2018.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.
|India – Bangladesh Relations