Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
National Mission on Government e Marketplace (GeM)
- The Government of India decided to launch a six week long National Mission on GeM from 6th to 17thOct 2018 in order to increase awareness, accelerate the use of GeM and to further augment the proven benefits of procurement through GeM for all government departments and organisations.
- It covers all central government departments, states and public sector undertakings in a mission mode by organising workshops, roadshow, trainings, events and other information, education and communication activities, including buyer and seller registration.
- Government e Marketplace is the National Public Procurement Portal offering an online, end-to-end solution for procurement of common use goods and services by government departments.
- It is used by Central and State Government Ministries and Departments, Central and State Public Sector Undertakings (CPSUs & SPSUs), autonomous institutions and local bodies.
- GeM provides an open, inclusive, transparent and efficient online marketplace.
FDI in Telecom Sector
- Provide relevant information relating to the FDI policy and the telecommunications sector in India at one place to facilitate the stakeholders.
- Telecom Sector is also playing an important role in agriculture, poverty eradication, disaster preparedness and financial inclusion.
- FDI an important component of economic growth can play an important role in the sector as it has been doing.
Defence Acquisition Council (DAC)
- An overarching structure, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), under the Defence Minister was constituted for overall guidance of the defence procurement planning process.
- The objective of the Defence Acquisition Council is to ensure expeditious procurement of the approved requirements of the Armed Forces in terms of capabilities sought, and time frame prescribed, by optimally utilizing the allocated budgetary resources.
- The DAC accorded approval for procurement of 1000 engines of 1000 BHP for fitment in T-72 tanks of the Army under ‘Buy & Make’ category and at an approximate cost of over Rs 2300 crore. Post transfer of technology most of these engines will be manufactured by Ordnance Factories Board (OFB). The engines will enhance mobility, agility and acceleration of T-72 tanks making them more versatile and effective in the battlefield.
India and Morocco bilateral cooperation
- India and Morocco agreed to enhance bilateral cooperation in the field of defence and security.
Two bilateral MoUs:
- ‘Cooperation in Peaceful Uses of Outer Space’ between ISRO and the Moroccan Centre of Remote Sensing and
- ‘Cooperation in the area of Cyber Security’ between the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT –IN), Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and the Moroccan Computer Response Team (ma-CERT) were signed in the presence of Raksha Mantri and the Moroccan Defence Minister.
Parakram Parv Celebrations
- Indian Army conducted surgical strikes in 2016 which had strategic ramifications and were aimed to dissuade inimical adversary from adopting the path of violence and to ensure an environment of peace for the nation.
- The day Sept 29 marks the eve of second anniversary of 2016’s surgical strikes against terror pods in Pakistani territory by Indian forces and the Ministry of Defence will be conducting the event with the army, air force and navy being represented.
- To showcase the courage, valour and sacrifice of Armed Forces, ‘Parakram Parv’ is being observed from Sept 28-30, which will have an overall theme of ‘valour’ of the armed forces with the focus being on the strikes.
- Exhibition is being planned for this day, with a ‘selfie wall’, showing representative videos and a portion of the original footage of the strikes and stalls displaying equipment of the three defence services throughout the three day celebration.
- Accelerate the worldwide effort to scale up renewable energy and connect the global investment community with Indian energy stakeholders.
- 2ndRE-INVEST will include a three-day Conference on renewables, cleantech and future energy choices, and an Expo of renewables-related manufacturers, developers, investors and innovators.
- The 2ndRE-INVEST will provide a great opportunity to various organisations to showcase their business strategies, achievements and expectations.
- It would facilitate collaboration and cooperation with key stakeholders in India, which has today emerged as one of the world’s largest renewable energy markets.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.
|FDI||Defence Acquisition Council (DAC)|