The CDS Exam (Combined Defence Services) exam is conducted for recruiting officers in the three branches of the Indian military.
Like all competitive exams, reading the right kind of books will help candidates in gaining an edge over other candidates. To this end, the article will focus on the book list for the CDS Exam.
The syllabus for the CDS Exam is broadly divided into three subjects
- General Knowledge
- Elementary Mathematics
The booklist for every subject will be given in detail.
Combined Defence Services (CDS) Books – English
The English section is designed to test the candidate’s basic vocabulary, grammar and his/her command of the English language. The recommended books are as follows:
CDS Book List – English
|High School English Grammar & Composition||Wren and Martin|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|Objective General English||SP Bakshi|
- Books like Objective General English are excellent for beginners and have detailed explanations of previous year’s question papers and their answers
- Word Power Made Easy has many antonyms, synonyms, and One Word Substitutions that can enhance the candidate’s vocabulary.
CDS Books – General Knowledge
The GK section is for assessing the knowledge of the candidate in terms of current events and news around the world. In addition to current affairs, questions from Indian history, geography and basic sciences will also be asked. The CDS booklist for General Knowledge is given as follows:
CDS Book List – General Knowledge
|General Awareness||Manohar Panday (Arihant Publications)|
|Manorama Yearbook||Philip Mathew|
|Pratiyogita Darpan||Pratiyogita Darpan Editorial Team|
|Newspapers||Hindu, The Indian Express, The Economic Times|
- Reading newspapers is the best way to stay updated with the latest in current affairs
- The General Awareness books are one of the most preferred books as these cover all the detailed information related to Indian History, Indian Polity, Geography, Indian Economy etc.
CDS Books – Elementary Mathematics
Elementary Mathematics is used to test the basic arithmetic capabilities of the CDS candidates. The CDS booklist for Elementary Mathematics is given as follows:
CDS Book List – Elementary Mathematics
|Mathematics for CDS||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Pathfinder for CDS||Arihant Publications|
- Both the books by R.S. Agarwal is good for beginners as it includes all the details about the topics that are mostly faced in this exam.
- The Pathfinder for CDS books is highly recommended by many candidates as it has a detailed syllabus for CDS Elementary Mathematics and information about other important topics
Frequently asked Questions about CDS Booklist
Which CDS book is best?
Which books are best for CDS OTA?
Some of the books recommended for CDS OTA are as follows:
- Objective General English – S. P. Bakshi.
- Wren & Martin’s High School English Grammar & Composition – Wren and Martin’s.
- Word Power Made Easy – Norman Lewis.
- Geography, History, Economy – NCERT (Std 6th-12th
- General Knowledge – Lucent book and News paper.
How can I study for CDS?
Candidates appearing for CDS are advised to start at least 3 to 6 months before the examination. Make a timetable and devote 6 – 8 hours especially for preparations. Take short breaks in between. Boost up your confidence level by getting updated with all the current affairs./div>
What is the syllabus of the Combined Defence Services Exam?
To know more about the CDS Exam, candidates can refer to the following links. To know more in detail about other Defence exams, visit the linked article.
|CDS Notification||CDS II 2020 Final Result.|
|Current Affairs||Government Schemes|
|CDS Admit Card||CDS Answer Key|
|CDS Eligibility||CDS Age Limit|
|Government Exams||SSC CPO Exam Pattern|