The members of the Vidhan Parishad or State Legislative Council are indirectly elected. Of the total number of members of a legislative council:
- One-third are elected by the members of local bodies in the state, like municipalities, district boards, etc.,
- 1/12 are elected by graduates of three years standing and residing within the state.
- 1/12 are elected by teachers of three years standing in the state, not lower in standard than secondary school.
- One-third are elected by the members of the legislative assembly of the state from amongst persons who are not members of the assembly.
- The remaining are nominated by the governor from amongst persons who have special knowledge or practical experience of literature, science, art, cooperative movement and social service.
Thus, 5/6 of the total number of members of a legislative council are indirectly elected and 1/6 are nominated by the governor.
The members are elected in accordance with the system of proportional representation by means of a single transferable vote.