Article 371-J provides for special provisions for the Hyderabad-Karnataka region of the state of Karnataka. This article was inserted in the Constitution by the 98th Constitutional Amendment Act of 2012. Under Article 371-J, the President is empowered to provide that the Governor of Karnataka would have special responsibility for:
- The establishment of a separate development board for the Hyderabad-Karnataka region.
- Making a provision that a report on the working of the board would be placed every year before the State Legislative Assembly.
- The equitable allocation of funds for developmental expenditure over the region.
- The reservation of seats in educational and vocational training institutions in the region for students who belong to the region.
- The reservation in state government posts in the region for persons who belong to the region.
The Hyderabad-Karnataka region includes the six backward districts of Northern Karnataka, viz., Gulbarga, Bidar, Raichur, Koppal, Yadgir and Bellary.