- Warangal was the capital of the Kakatiya kingdom which ruled between the 12th and 14th century.
- Prola Raja of Kakatiya is credited with the construction of the town in the 12th century.
- The Kakatiyas, who ruled for more than 200 years, have left many grand monuments and architectural marvels in warangal such as Warangal Fort, Swayambhu Temple and many other ancient structures.
- In February 2013, Warangal was accorded World Heritage city status by UNESCO.
- The Government of India’s Tourism Ministry also recognized the city as the Best Heritage City.
Further readings –