Polynomial comes from the word “poly” which means “many” and the word “nomial” which means “term”. In maths, a polynomial expression consists of variables which are also known as indeterminates and coefficients. The coefficients involve the operations of subtraction, addition, non-negative integer exponents of variables and multiplication. A detailed polynomial Class 9 notes are provided here along with some important questions so that students can understand the concept in an easy manner.
Polynomials are expressions with one or more terms with a non-zero coefficient. A polynomial can have more than one number of terms.
Example of polynomials:
x + y
7a + b + 8
w + x + y + z
Polynomials in One Variable
Polynomials in one variable are the expressions which consist of only one type of variable in the entire expression.
Example of polynomials in one variable:
2×2 + 5x + 15
Key points in polynomial
Some important points in Class 9 Chapter 2 Polynomials are given below:
- A term is either a variable or a single number or it can be a combination of variable and numbers.
- The degree of the polynomial is the highest power of the variable in a polynomial.
- A polynomial of degree 1 is called as a linear polynomial.
- A polynomial of degree 2 is called a quadratic polynomial.
- A polynomial of degree 3 is called as a cubic polynomial.
- A polynomial of 1 term is called as a monomial.
- A polynomial of 2 terms is called as binomial.
- A polynomial of 3 terms is called as trinomial.
- Find value of polynomial 2×2 + 5x + 1 at x = 3.
- Check whether at x = -1/6 is zero of the polynomial p(a) = 6a + 1.
- Divide 3a2 + x – 1 by a + 1.
- Find value of k, if (a – 1) is factor of p(a) = ka2 – 3a + k.
- Factorise each of the following:
Stay tuned with BYJU’S and get detailed notes of all concepts of Class 9 mathematics.
|Quadratic Equation||Polynomial For Class 10|
|Quadratic Formula & Quadratic Polynomial||Degree Of A Polynomial|