Biofertilizers are living microorganisms that are used as fertilizers for agricultural practice. They promote the growth of plants by providing essential and growth-promoting nutrients. They increase the nutrient content of soil by natural processes such as nitrogen fixation and other processes, which solubilize nutrients like phosphorus. Examples include various bacteria, algae, cyanobacteria (blue-green algae), e.g. Rhizobium, Anabaena, Azospirrilum, Pseudomonas, etc.
1. Which of the following is incorrectly matched?
(a) Alnus – Frankia
(b) Alfalfa – Rhizobium
(c) Nitrogen fixer – Anabaena
(d) Mycorrhiza – Rhodospirrilum
2. Which of the following nitrogen fixers is found in rice fields associated with Azolla?
3. Which of the following is not a biofertilizer?
4. Which of the following is used as a biofertilizer for soybean crop?
5. Which of the following is commonly used as a nitrogen fixer in paddy fields?
6. This is not used in organic farming
7. Which of the following is a nitrogen fixer in the root nodules of Alnus?
8. Which of the following is a pair of biofertilizers?
(a) Salmonella and E.coli
(b) Rhizobium and grasses
(c) Nostoc and legume
(d) Azolla and BGA
9. Which of the following fern is a biofertilizer?
10. Which of the following is an endomycorrhiza?
11. Pick the correct statement
(a) legumes do not fix nitrogen
(b) legumes fix nitrogen independent of bacteria
(c) legumes fix nitrogen through bacteria in their roots
(d) legumes fix nitrogen through bacteria in their leaves
12. Organic farming is the technique of raising crops through the usage of
(a) resistant varieties
(d) all of the above
13. A biofertilizer involving a pteridophyte host is
14. Which of the following plants form a symbiotic relationship with two nitrogen-fixing bacteria Rhizobium and Aero rhizobium in root and stem nodules respectively?
(a) Sesbania rostrata
(b) Crotalaria juncea
(c) Sesbania aculeata
(d) Cyamopsis tetragonoloba
15. This plant is used in sandy soils and as green manure in crop fields
(a) Lantana camara and Saccharum munja
(b) Phyllanthus niruri and Calotropis procera
(c) Azolla pinnata and Dichanthium annulatum
(d) Alhagi camelorum and Crotalaria juncea
These were some MCQs on Biofertilizers. Learn MCQs on related topics for NEET, at BYJU’S.
Important MCQs for NEET Biology: