DNA replication occurs in all living organisms. It is an important biological process for inheritance. A DNA molecule replicates to form two identical copies of itself. During the cell cycle, replication occurs at ‘S’ phase. DNA replication is a semiconservative process, in the newly formed double-stranded DNA, one strand of original DNA is retained, which acts as a template for the formation of another strand. It is an enzyme catalysed process.
1. During replication, Okazaki fragments elongate
(a) leading strand towards the replication fork
(b) lagging strand towards the replication fork
(c) leading strand away from the replication fork
(d) lagging strand away from the replication fork
2. Which of the following enzymes separates the two strands of DNA during replication?
(d) DNA polymerase
3. DNA replication is
(b) conservative and discontinuous
(c) semi-conservative and discontinuous
(d) semi-conservative and semi-discontinuous
4. Which of the following is used in DNA replication studies?
(a) Neurospora crassa
(b) Drosophila melanogaster
(c) Escherichia coli
5. Which of the following helps in opening of DNA double helix in front of replication fork?
(b) DNA polymerase-I
(c) DNA gyrase
(d) DNA ligase
6. Termination of replication is triggered by
(a) DNA polymerase
(d) Tus protein
7. DNA polymerase synthesizes
(a) DNA in 5’-3’ direction
(b) DNA in 3’-5’ direction
(c) mRNA in 3’-5’ direction
(d) mRNA in 5’-3’ direction
8. Association of histones H1 with nucleosome shows
(a) the occurrence of transcription
(b) the occurrence of replication
(c) exposed DNA double helix
(d) the condensation of DNA into chromatin fibre
9. The 3’ – 5’ phosphodiester linkage joins
(a) two DNA strands
(b) two nucleotides
(c) a nitrogenous base with pentose sugar
(d) two nucleosides
10. The fragments of DNA are joined together by which of the following enzymes?
(b) DNA polymerase
These were some MCQs on DNA replication. Learn MCQs on related topics for NEET, at BYJU’S.
Important MCQs for NEET Biology: