What are the different types of Graphical Representation of Data?
Graphical methods used to present data is very efficient in organizing the data and understand them. There are various graphical methods which are mentioned below:
- While comparing among categories, the method which is appropriate is the bar graph.
- While comparing parts of a whole, pie-chart is the ideal method.
- When data is provided in intervals, a histogram can be used for easier understanding.
- In the case of the data changing continuously over a period of time, a line graph will be useful
- When an unbroken line is represented, it is done with the help of a linear graph
All these graphs need y coordinate and the x coordinate and the graphs are used to show the relation among the independent and dependent variable.
Lets us understand this chapter with the help of an example.
The graph signifies the runs made by batsman A and B in the matches played in the year 2007. Answer the below:
- What these two axes represent.
- Which lines represent the runs made by A
- Compare the runs made in 2007, are they same at some point, is yes, then in which match.
- Who is consistent among the two batsmen.
- The horizontal x-axis represents the matches played in the year 2007 and the vertical y-axis represents the runs scored.
- The line which is dotted represent the runs made by A.
- Both have made the same runs during the 4th match and is represented by the meeting of both graphs.
- In the case of A, the peak is high but has many valleys. A does not show consistency and B never scored below 40 even though his highest score is 100 which is less than A which is 115. A scored less than 40 runs in total 5 matches and had scored 0 in two matches. B is a more consistent batsman.