The Civil Services Examination takes place in thee stages – Prelims, Mains & Interview. The syllabus of the examination is such that aspirants think reading books for a year will help them sail through it. However, there are TV Programmes for IAS Exam that aspirants can refer to for their preparation. This article will mention the list of 10 such TV Programmes for UPSC preparation.
|To complement your preparation for the topics mentioned in the UPSC Syllabus, check the following links:|
List of TV Programmes for UPSC
- Made in India (Epic Channel) – This show airs on the epic channel. It is hosted by Nasir Khan and talks about inventions and contributions by India to the world. It airs every Monday at 10.30 pm on the epic channel.
- Samvidhaan: The Making of the constitution of India (Rajya Sabha TV)- This is a ten-part television mini-series based on the making of the Indian Constitution. Shyam Benegal has directed it. Shama Zaidi and Atul Tiwari are writers of the series. The show had premiered on 2nd March, 2014 on the Rajya Sabha TV channel.
- Pradhanmantri (ABP News) – Pradhanmantri is an Indian television political documentary series hosted by actor-director Shekhar Kapur on the Hindi news channel ABP News. It had premiered on 13th July 2013. This weekly programme showcases the history of India from 1947 to the present day. Puneet Sharma has directed it. It is an attempt to show the changes in the country during the tenure of 13 prime ministers in the last 65 years.
- India’s World (Rajya Sabha TV programs for UPSC) – This is a weekly programme which airs on Rajya Sabha TV at 10 pm every Monday and gives you a detailed, unbiased, logical and mature opinions on International Issues. This is very useful for Paper 3 (International Relations).
- The Big Picture (Rajya Sabha TV programs for UPSC) – The Big Picture is a daily programme (Monday-Friday) which features discussion on one topic of current national or international importance.
- Bharat Ek Khoj (Doordarshan) – Bharat Ek Khoj is a fifty three-episode Indian historical drama based on the book ‘The Discovery of India’ (1946) by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru that covers a five thousand year history of India from its beginnings to the coming of independence in 1947. The drama was directed, written and produced by Shyam Benegal with cinematographer V. K. Murthy in 1988 for state-owned Doordarshan. Shama Zaidi co-wrote the script. Its cast included Om Puri, Roshan Seth, Tom Alter and Sadashiv Amrapurkar. Roshan Seth portrayed Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Sarkaar ki Duniya (Real TV) – ‘Sarkaar Ki Duniya’ was a reality television show that aired on Real TV since 2nd March 2009. It took place on Mango Island in Karwar, Karnataka. 18 contestants were selected from all over India. The show was hosted by film actor Ashutosh Rana. Every week, there was a Dal Nayak (Community Leader) who was elected and assigned a task along with a fixed budget. The Dal Nayak had immunity and was exempted from elimination. Each player had to pay tax once a week and the least three taxpayers were up for Nishkasan (elimination). The rest of the Dal eliminated one player every week. When the game reached the last stage, the Nishkasan (elimination) rights were revoked and open to the Indian public to vote for the Maha-Nayak. The final four were Puneesh, Rashid, Ali Mughal and Sanju. The Grand Finale was telecast on 3rd July 2009. The winner was Mr.Puneesh Sharma from Delhi, and he won Rs. One Crore as prize money.
- Policy Watch (Rajya Sabha TV) – Policy Watch is another good show that airs on Rajya Sabha TV. The show aims at discussing the economic development that has taken place in our country with subject experts.
- Science Monitor (Rajya Sabha TV) – Science Monitor is a non-political show that airs on Rajya Sabha TV which talks about the developments in the field of science & technology in our country.
- State of the Economy (Rajya Sabha TV) – This is a weekly show. This also airs on Rajya Sabha TV. It is an interview show with the key decision-makers and analysts.