The Exam Pattern for Group 1 Services in Andhra Pradesh is set by the Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC).
For exam dates, notification, online application, etc., see the APPSC Group 1 Exam 2022 article.
|In a major state services reform, the Andhra Pradesh government has ordered to dispense with the interview stages of all state public service commission examinations. APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern also stands changed.
The revised APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern consists of only two stages:
Note – The revised APPSC Exam Pattern will be applicable for all recruitments to be notified from now on [June 2021 onwards.]
The APPSC conducts various recruitment exams and assists the state government in matters of recruitment, transfers and disciplinary action.
The APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern is broadly similar to the pattern of the IAS Exam, which is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission.
Via the Group 1 Exam, the APPSC recruits civil servants to fill prestigious posts such as Deputy Collector, Assistant Commissioner (Tax), Dy SP, etc. in the Andhra state administration.
The APPSC Exam Pattern for Group 1 Services Exam from June 2021 onwards is:
- There are two stages – Prelims, Mains [In June 2021, AP Government has announced to dispense with interviews for all state service examinations including APPSC Group 1]
- The Prelims is a Screening Test which consists of two papers for a total of 240 marks
- There is a negative marking in Prelims
- Candidates who clear Prelims, reach the Main stage of the exam
- The Mains is a written-descriptive type exam that comprises 7 theory papers
- There are two qualifying papers in Mains – Telugu and English
- Candidates’ marks in Mains will be counted for the final merit list. More clarity on the total marks would be ascertained after the official APPSC notification.
As many aspirants prepare for state service exams and IAS Exam simultaneously, it is important to understand the UPSC Exam Pattern along with the APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern.
The detailed APPSC Exam Pattern for Group 1 Services Exam is given below.
APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern
Candidates should check the latest notification for the detailed exam pattern. Here, we are giving the exam pattern as per the APPSC Notification for the Group 1 Exam 2019.
APPSC Group 1 Notification 2019:-Download PDF Here
Stage 1: Prelims Exam Pattern
The APPSC Exam Pattern for Group 1 Services Preliminary Exam is:
|Paper I – General Studies||Paper II – General Aptitude|
|Number of questions: 120 questions||Number of questions: 120 questions|
|Nature of questions: Objective Type (MCQ)||Nature of questions: Objective Type (MCQ)|
|Duration: 120 minutes||Duration: 120 minutes|
|Maximum Marks: 120 marks||Maximum Marks: 120 marks|
|Negative Marking: 1/3rd of the marks prescribed for the question||Negative Marking: 1/3rd of the marks prescribed for the question|
Both the papers of Preliminary exam are conducted on the same day in offline mode (Pen-Paper).
Candidates can read/download the detailed APPSC Group 1 Syllabus for Prelims and Mains 2019 from the linked article.
Stage 2: Mains Exam Pattern
The APPSC Exam Pattern for Group 1 Services Mains Exam is:
|Number of Papers||Seven (2 qualifying papers + 5 papers counted for merit ranking)|
|Duration of Exam||180 minutes each|
|Nature of Questions||Essay-descriptive type|
|Maximum Marks||150 marks each|
|Papers counted for Merit Ranking||
The candidates who clear the Mains stage are then called for an interview with the APPSC board. Usually, candidates are called in the ratio of 2:1 with respect to the number of vacancies.
The final merit list is prepared based on:
- Candidates’ marks in Mains: out of 750 marks (150 * 5)
- Interview: 75 marks [The interview has been done away with for all upcoming recruitments. APPSC Group 1 2019 is the last examination to have Interview as the final stage.]
- Thus, out of a total of 825 marks. [Total Marks Tally to change after removal of interview stage]
For more information on APPSC Group 1, aspirants can check the below articles:
Visit the government examinations page to get information on various competitive exams.