Table of Contents:
A. GS1 Related:
B. GS2 Related:
C. GS3 Related:
D. GS4 Related:
Useful News Articles for UPSC Current Affairs
A. GS1 Related
- Triple talaq and its validity
- Attorney General of India, Mr. Rohatgi view points:
- Strike down all the three forms of triple talaq as “constitutionally immoral”.
- If it’s struck down, Centre would then introduce a new law for Muslim divorce.
- Instantaneous triple talaq cannot be viewed through the prism of one eye alone.
- Many women in the Hanafi school accept triple talaq as a valid form of divorce.
- Women had not thought about approaching the court for 1,400 years.
Context: Constitutionality of the contract entered into between WhatsApp and Facebook on data sharing.
- The state has a duty to ensure that subscribers of online service providers are not “entrapped” by them.
- C asked, Can WhatsApp, an instant messaging platform, impose any condition on its users here violating any part of the Constitution?
Government response: Government is in the process of building a regulatory regime of a binding nature to protect user data.
Counsel for Facebook response: They were not sharing any sensitive or personal data and since India was shifting to digitisation, the service provided by WhatsApp was beneficial as it was end-to-end encrypted.
- An Indian national has been selected to a crucial post in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- Ovais Sarmad appointed to join the UNFCCC as the Deputy Executive Secretary.
- The appointment has been made after consultation with the Conference of Parties through its Bureau.
- The appointment is significant as UNFCCC aims to stabilise greenhouse emission and slow down climate change.
- China said it’s “doors will always remain open” for India’s participation in the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- New Delhi decided not to participate in a two-day brainstorming forum held in Beijing to advance the transnational connectivity project.
Cotext: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas visit to India.
- India urged that a future state of Palestine should coexist peacefully with Israel.
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said that a sovereign state of Palestine should be built according to the pre-1967 borders and include East Jerusalem as the capital.
- Competing Israeli and Palestinian claims over East Jerusalem, which is home to Jewish and Muslim holy sites, remain a major hurdle in the peace process.
- Dialogue the way: The challenges in West Asia can be dealt with, sustained by political dialogue and peaceful means. India hopes for an early resumption of talks between the Palestinian and the Israeli sides, for finding a comprehensive resolution
- The delegations also signed agreements on visa exemption on diplomatic and official passports, sports and youth affairs, agriculture, health and IT.
C. GS3 Related
- Centre is expected to pave the way for multibrand foreign retailers to tap the Indian market, by allowing overseas investors in the food retail segment to offer ‘Made in India’ non-food items .
- India had opened up 100% FDI in multibrand food retail and food processing sectors in early 2016.
- Investors had also pointed out that multibrand food retail ventures entailed a lot of investment in infrastructure but the margins had to be really small as one could not be viable with big margins on food.
- Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian public lecture at the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library highlights : India’s current employment challenge is particularly difficult as sectors that did well in generating jobs in the country’s previous economic boom years — information technology (IT), construction and agriculture – are in trouble now
- Economy needs to clock 8% to 10% growth for greater job creation.
- The IT sector is reeling under problem .
- No growth in the employment if economy is growing at the rate of 3-4 %
- India’s boom period in the 2000s led to job creation in three sectors that did extremely well, Mr. Subramanian said after a public lecture at the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library.
- The Centre to frame a new sector-wise National Employment Policy in this financial year.
- Policy’s thrust would be to ensure a transition from informal to formal jobs in the country.
- At present, in India, around 92% of the workers are engaged in informal employment — those who are not covered by any social security law.
- Labour Bureau- quarterly survey of industries
- The pace of job creation fell to a six-year low in 2015 with 1.35 lakh new jobs being created compared with 4.21 lakh new jobs in 2014 and 4.19 lakh in 2013.
- Another survey – Fifth Annual Employment-Unemployment Survey – of households conducted by Labour Bureau showed unemployment rate rising to a five-year high of 5% in 2015-16 compared with 4.9% in 2013-14 and 4.7% in 2012-13.
Reasons for job loss in IT sector:
- S. President Donald Trump’s executive order issued last month to review the H1-B visa program, which aims at tightening visa norms for skilled workers and technology shifts.
- Whole industry is going ahead with automation as a result of which the manpower requirement is going down.
- A National Employment Policy was planned by the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government but a draft Policy was released on June 16, 2014 when the NDA government took charge at the Centre.
- A two-page document, it talked about providing skill development in the unorganised non-farm sector such as construction.
- The Southern Bird Wing butterfly approved to become the “State butterfly” of Karnataka– distinctive red and yellow stripes
- Habitat: the Western Ghats.
- The proposal for the State butterfly was given approval from the State Wildlife Board.
- Karantaka the second State in the country after Maharashtra to adopt a State butterfly.
- Maharashtra chose the Blue Mormom butterfly as its State butterfly
- The Southern Bird Wing is the largest butterfly in India, with the females growing up to 190 mm in length. Primarily endemic to South India, it is found in abundance in Karnataka.
Importance of Butterflies
- Butterflies are the important members of the eco-system.
- These are important pollinators, and their preservation is necessary for the eco-system
Nothing here for Today
Article in News
|About the article|
Question 1: The Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) of sugarcane is approved by the
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs
- Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices.
- Agricultural Produce Market Committee.
- Directorate of Marketing and Inspection, Ministry of Agriculture
Question 2: What is RIO+20 Conference, often mentioned in the news?
- It is the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development.
- It is a Ministerial Meeting of the World Trade Organization.
- It is a Conference of the Inter-governmental Panel on Climate change.
- It is a Conference of the Member Countries of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
Question 3: Recently Southern Bird Wing butterfly was approved as State Butterfly of which State?
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Question 4: How do most insects respire?
- Tracheal System
“Proper Current Affairs preparation is the key to success in the UPSC- Civil Services Examination. We have now launched a comprehensive ‘Online Current Affairs Crash Course’. Limited seats available. Click here to Know More.”
You can check out some more recent News Analysis sections to build even more context
Practice More: Enroll for India’s Largest All-India Test Series