Ex servicemen quota in UPSC/Age relaxation for ex servicemen in civil services/Reservation for ex servicemen in UPSC/Eligibility for Ex Servicemen quota in IAS/UPSC jobs for Ex Servicemen/UPSC Ex Servicemen Quota in Civil Services/Ex servicemen reservation in civil services
A defence personnel cannot take the UPSC civil services while in service. However, a short service commissioned (SSC) officer in the army can take the exam if he has less than two years of service left and satisfies all the other eligibility conditions of the UPSC CSE. Also, ex-servicemen can also take the exam provided they satisfy all the eligibility conditions. The government also gives certain concessions to ex-servicemen in the age criterion. Read on to know more.
For Ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least 5 years military service and have been released:
There is a relaxation of up to five years from the maximum attained age in the eligibility criterion for such candidates. So, the maximum age limit is 37 years for general category.
For defence service personnel disabled during service:
There is a relaxation of up to three years from the maximum attained age in the eligibility criterion for such candidates. So, the maximum age limit is 35 years.
Points to note:-
- The term “ex-servicemen” is as defined in the Ex-servicemen (Re-employment in Civil Services and Posts) Rules, 1979.
- Ex-servicemen who have been dismissed or discharged on account of misconduct or inefficiency are not eligible to take the concessions available to ex-servicemen.
- Ex-servicemen who have been released due to physical disability attributable to military service, or who have been released due to invalidment are also eligible for the age limit concession. Disabled servicemen have no cap on the number of permissible attempts. They can take the exam as long as they don’t cross the upper age limit.
- Commissioned Officers (ECOs/SSCOs) who have been released on their own accord are not eligible to take the concession.
- Ex-servicemen candidates who also fall under the SC/ST/OBC category are eligible for grant of cumulative age-relaxation under both the categories (community and ex-servicemen).
Visit BYJU’S Website for strategy and articles on free IAS prep and all the latest on UPSC IAS exam.