UPSC allots the highest weightage to General Studies. In fact out of the seven papers that are counted towards merit ranking in UPSC, four are General Studies papers covering a variety of topics. In this article, we bring you the UPSC Mains 2018 General Studies I question paper.
UPSC Syllabus: GS Paper 1
The following are included in IAS General Studies for GS Paper I:
- Indian Heritage and Culture
- History and Geography of the World and Society
UPSC Marking Scheme: UPSC GS Paper 1
The UPSC Mains General Studies Paper I was held on Saturday, 29 September 2018. The Question Paper is paper given in this article. The following is the marking scheme for the Mains GS I Paper 2018:
- The total marks allotted for General Studies Paper I is 250.
- Questions 1-10 are of 10 marks each, to be answered in 150 words.
- Questions 11-20 are of 15 marks each, to be answered in 250 words.
General Studies Paper I 2018 Questions
- Q.1. Safeguarding the Indian art heritage is the need of the moment. Discuss.
- Q.2. Assess the importance of the accounts of the Chinese and Arab travellers in the reconstruction of the history of India.
- Q.3. Throw light on the significance of the thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi in the present times.
- Q.4. Why is Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) needed? How does it help in navigation?
- Q.5. Why is India taking a keen interest in resources of the Arctic region?
- Q.6. Define mantle plume and explain its role in plate tectonics.
- Q.7. What are the consequences of spreading ‘Dead Zones’ on marine ecosystem?
- Q.8. “Caste system is assuming new identities and associational forms. Hence, caste system cannot be eradicated in India.” Comment.
- Q.9. ‘Despite implementation of various programmes for eradication of poverty by the Government of India, poverty is still existing.’ Explain by giving reasons.
- Q.10. How the Indian concept of secularism is different from the western model of secularism? Discuss
- Q.11. The Bhakti movement received a remarkable re-orientation with the advent of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Discuss
- Q.12. Discuss whether formation of new states in recent times is beneficial or not for the economy of India.
- Q.13. Why indentured labour was taken by the British from India to other colonies? Have they been able to preserve their cultural identity over there?
- Q.14. “The ideal solution of depleting ground water resources in India is water harvesting system.” How can it be made effective in urban areas?
- Q.15. Defining blue revolution, explain the problems and strategies for pisciculture development in India.
- Q.16. What is the significance of Industrial Corridors in India? Identifying industrial corridors, explain their main characteristics.
- Q.17. Mention core strategies for the transformation of aspirational districts in India and explain the nature of convergence, collaboration and competition for its success.
- Q.18. ‘Women’s movement in India has not addressed the issues of women of lower social strata.’ Substantiate your view.
- Q.19. ‘Globalization is generally said to promote cultural homogenization but due to this cultural specificities appear to be strengthened in the Indian Society’ Elucidate.
- Q.20. ‘Communalism arises either due to power struggle or relative deprivation.’ Argue by giving suitable illustrations.
For more information on UPSC Preparation, please visit: