UPSC IAS Exam which is the toughest exam in the country is conducted in three stages- Prelims, Mains, and interview. The Mains stage in IAS Exam comprises nine papers including two papers of optional subject.
Optional subjects are considered as the significant part of UPSC IAS Mains exam.
This article gives you a list of UPSC Political Science and International Relations books. At the end of the article, you can also download important books of Political Science for mains.
Political Science As An Optional Subject For IAS Mains Exam
The Political science optional subject is a general studies friendly subject. It is a decent optional subject with around 50-60% syllabus coordinating with the General Studies Paper of UPSC Mains. It is a very dynamic and constantly evolving subject.
Candidates seeking to choose political science as their optional in civil services examination, ought to be more aware of the paradigm shift in core area than in the changes in the revised syllabus. In fact, the revision of Political science has paved a way for scoring more marks in this particular optional. The Paper I of UPSC Political Science deals with the Political Theory and Indian Politics. Paper-II of UPSC Political Science deals with Comparative Political Analysis and International Politics.
BYJU’s has already come up with the UPSC Political Science Syllabus. Candidates can check that in the linked article.
Books For Political Science Optional For UPSC IAS Mains
Books For Political Science Paper I
- An Introduction To Constitution- Dd Basu
- An Introduction To Political Theory- O.P Gauba
- Fifty Major Political Thinkers- Ian Adams And R W Dyson
- A History Of Political Thought: Plato To Marx – Subrata Mukherjee And Sushila Ramaswamy
- An Oxford Companion To Politics In India-niraja Gopal Jayal And Pratap Bhanu Mehta
- Foundations Of Indian Political Thought- V.R Mehta
- A New Look At Modern Indian History- B.L Grover And Alka Mehta
- India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipan Chandra
- Indian Government And Politics – B L Fadia
Aspirants targeting UPSC 2020 can check the linked article.
Books For Political Science Paper-II
- India’s Foreign Policy – V P Dutt
- International Organisations- Spectrum Books Publication
- International Relations – V N Khanna
- Challenge And Strategy: Rethinking India’s Foreign Policy- Rajiv Sikri
- Does The Elephant Dance?: Contemporary Indian Foreign Policy- David M. Malone
- Global Politics- Andrew Heywood
- MPS-004 Comparative Politics: Issues And Trends By Expert Panel Of GPH
You may also like to check the following articles relevant for UPSC Political Science and Civil Services Examination: