UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – National Bamboo Mission
National Bamboo Mission is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme started in the year 2006-07. The scheme was later subsumed under the Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) for the years 2014-15 and 2015-16. The scheme aims at promoting the growth of Bamboo sector through the area based regionally differentiated strategy.
- Enhance the yields with improved and new varieties.
- In the potential areas, increase coverage area for bamboo.
- Promotion and marketing of bamboo and handicrafts made of bamboo.
- Establish coordination and cooperation among stakeholders for the development of the bamboo sector.
- Promote, develop and disseminate technologies through a perfect blend of the modern scientific knowledge and the traditional wisdom.
- Generate employment opportunities for skilled and unskilled labourers, especially unemployed youths.
The NBM has now been extended till 2019-20. This extended mission aims at ensuring holistic development of the Bamboo Sector. It aims at establishing effective linkage between the industry and the producer. Approval has been granted by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) to set up an executive committee for the enlisting the guidelines of the National Bamboo Mission, including the norms for different interventions at certain intervals according to the needs and recommendations of the states, with the Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare Ministry’s approval.
- The scheme would, directly and indirectly, benefit the farmers, local artisans and associated people engaged in the bamboo sector, inclusive of the associated industries.
- The scheme proposes to bring about one lakh hectares under plantation. Thereby benefitting close to one lakh farmers directly, in terms of the plantation.
- The scheme would help in cutting down on the import of bamboo products and in enhancing the income of the farmers.
- It creates a complete value chain for the growth of the bamboo sector.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.