UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam is of Optional Subject and consists of 2 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks with a total of 500 marks. NEPALI PAPER-I (Answers must be written in Nepali) Section-A
- History of the origin and development of Nepali as one of the new IndoAryan Languages
- Fundamentals of Nepali Grammar and phonology:
(i) Nominal forms and categories : Gender, Number, Case, Adjectives,Pronouns, Avyayas (ii) Verbal forms and categoriesTense, Aspects, Voice, Roots and Fixes (iii) Nepali Swara and Vyanjana;
- Major Dialects of Nepali
- Standardisation and Modernisation of Nepali with special reference to language movements (viz. Halanta Bahiskar, Jharrovad etc.)
- Teaching of Nepali language in IndiaIts history and development with special reference to its socio-cultural aspects.
- History of Nepali literature with special reference to its development in India.
- Fundamental concepts and theories of literature :
Kavya/Sahitya, Kavya Prayojan, Literary genres, Shabda Shakti, Rasa, Alankara, Tragedy, Comedy, Aesthetics, Stylistics.
- Major literary trends and movementsSwachchhandatavad, Yatharthavad, Astitwavad, Ayamik Movement, Contemporary Nepali writings, Postmodernism.
- Nepali folklores (the following folkform only)- Sawai, Jhyaurey, Selo, Sangini, Lahari.
PAPER-II (Answers must be written in Nepali) This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed below and questions will be designed to test the candidate’s critical acumen. Section-A
- Santa Jnandil Das-Udaya Lahari
- Lekhnath Poudyal-Tarun Tapasi (Vishrams III, V, VI, XII, XV, XVIII only)
- Agam Singh Giri-Jaleko Pratibimba : Royeko Pratidhwani (The following poems only – rasawako Chichy-ahatsanga Byunjheko Ek Raat, Chhorolai, Jaleko Pratibimba : Royeko Pratidhwani, Hamro Akashmani Pani Hunchha Ujyalo, Tihar).
- Haribhakta Katuwal-Yo Zindagi Khai Ke Zindagi : (The following poems only – Jeevan : Ek Dristi, Yo Zindagi Khai Ke Zindagi, Akashka tara Ke Tara, Hamilai Nirdho Nasamjha, Khai Many-ata Yahan Atmahutiko Balidan Ko).
- Balkrishna Sama – Prahlad
- Manbahadur Mukhia – Andhyaroma Banchneharu (The following OneAct plays only – ‘Andhyaroma Banchneharu’, ‘Suskera’).
- Indra Sundas-Sahara
- Lilbahadur Chhetri-Brahmaputrako Chheuchhau
- Rupnarayan Sinha-Katha Navaratna (The following stories only-Biteka Kura, Jimmewari Kasko, Dhanamatiko Cinema-Swapna, Vidhwasta Jeevan).
- Indrabahadur Rai-Vipana Katipaya (The following stories only-Raatbhari Huri Chalyo, Jayamaya Aphumatra
Lekha-pani Aipugi, Bhagi, Ghosh Babu, Chhutyaiyo).
- Sanu Lama-Katha Sampad (The following stories only-Swasni Manchhey, Khani Tarma Ekdin, Phurbale Gaun Chhadyo, Asinapo Manchhey).
- Laxmi Prasad Devkota-Laxmi Nibandha Sangraha (The following essays only-Sri Ganeshaya Namah, Nepali Sahityako Itihasma Sarvashrestha Purus, Kalpana, Kala Ra Jeevan, Gadha Buddhiman Ki Guru).
- Ramkrishna Sharma-Das Gorkha (The following essays only-Kavi, Samaj Ra Sahitya, Sahityama Sapekshata, Sahityik Ruchiko Praudhata, Nepali Sahityako Pragati).