Some of the important points pertaining to the Nobel Prize in Medicine are listed below.
- It is awarded every year by the Nobel Foundation for discoveries done in the field of medicine.
- The award is presented by the Nobel Assembly at the Karolinska Institute, located in Stockholm, Sweden.
- The Nobel Prize consists of a certificate for a monetary award of 9 million SEK (Swedish Krona), a medal along with a diploma.
- As of 2019, 110 Nobel prizes have been awarded. It was won by 207 men and 12 women.
- The 1st Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded in 1901.
- The 1st Nobel Prize in Medicine was won by German Physiologist Emil Von Behring, for his exemplary contribution for serum therapy thereby developing a vaccine against diphtheria.
- Gerty Cori was the 1st woman to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1947.
Aspirants would find this topic very helpful in the IAS Exam.
Nobel Prize in Medicine – 2019 Winners
Nobel Prize in Medicine for the year 2019 was won by
- William G Kaelin – Professor of Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham & Womens Hospital Harvard Medical School, USA
- Sir Peter J Ratcliffe – Director of Clinical Research at the Francis Crick Institute in London, and Director of Target Discovery Institute at Oxford, U.K
- Greg L Semenza – Professor of Genetic Medicine at John Hopkins, USA
Nobel Prize in Medicine 2019 – Summary of the Discovery in Medicine
For many years the fundamental importance of oxygen has been understood for centuries, but it was unknown on how cells adapt to the changes in levels of oxygen. 2019 Nobel Prize winners for Medicine discovered how cells can sense and adapt to changing levels of oxygen availability. They were able to successfully identify the molecular machinery that regulates the activity of genes in response to the varying levels of oxygen. The Nobel prize winners established the foundation of our understanding on how oxygen levels affect cellular metabolism and physiological functions like respiration, embryonic development, immune response, altitude adaptation. The discoveries of Nobel Prize 2019 winners in Medicine also opened doors for better ways of fighting many dangerous diseases and recurring problems faced by humanity for many years like cancer, heart attacks, stroke, anemia, infection, wound healing, myocardial infarction etc
Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology – UPSC Notes:- Download PDF Here
The above details would help candidates prepare for UPSC 2021.
|IAS Salary||IAS Eligibility|
|Civil Service Exam||Static GK|
|Government Exams||UPSC Syllabus|
|UPSC Books||UPSC Question Paper|
|Best Optional Subjects for UPSC||10 Must Read Books for IAS Aspirants|