The list of Nobel Prize Winners 2020 is imperative for competitive exams. Questions on Nobel Laureates and Prizes forms an important part of the current affairs and general awareness section.
Hence, the article will provide the list of Nobel Prize winners 2020 along with related facts and questions to assist in exam preparation.
List of Nobel Prize Winners 2020 PDF- Download PDF Here
Aspirants preparing for various Government exams can check the linked page for the latest information on the upcoming exams.
|Preparing for any Government Exam? Refer the links below to fine-tune your preparation and outshine the competition-|
List Of Nobel Prize Winners 2020
The Nobel Prize is awarded for outstanding work in the fields of physics, chemistry, literature, peace, physiology or medicine and economics. The table below highlights the Nobel Laureates who were conferred with the prestigious title in the year 2020.
|Winners of Nobel Prize 2020|
|Fields||Nobel Laureates 2020||Contributions by the Nobel Laureates|
|Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology||Harvey J. Alter, Michael Houghton and Charles M. Rice||Discovery of the Hepatitis C virus|
|Nobel Prize in Physics||Roger Penrose||For the discovery of the black hole formation which is a robust prediction of the general theory of relativity|
|Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez||For discovering supermassive compact object at the centre of our galaxy|
|Nobel Prize in Chemistry||Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna||On discovering the method for genome editing and development of CRISPR-Cas9|
|Nobel Prize in Literature||Louise Gluck||For her unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal|
|Nobel Peace Prize||World Food Programme (WFP)||For its efforts to combat the surge in Global hunger amidst coronavirus pandemic, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict.|
|Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences||Paul R. Milgrom, Robert B. Wilson
|For improvements to auction theory and inventions of new auction formats.|
Aspirants can check similar articles to gear up their preparation for the exams.
- Tennis Grand Slam Winners 2020
- FIFA World Cup Winners
- IPL Winners List
- ICC Cricket World Cup Winners
- List of First in India
- Fathers of various Fields
Background of Nobel Prize
- The Nobel Prize award was first conferred in 1901. It is given in the name of Alfred Nobel who was a Swedish inventor.
- The season for Nobel Prize begins in October every year.
- The Nobel Prize is awarded yearly to the individuals or organizations who do an extraordinary job in the field of Physics, chemistry, literature, peace, physiology or medicine and Economics.
- All the Nobel Prizes are given at Stockholm, Sweden except for the Nobel Peace Prize which is awarded at Oslo, Norway.
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine field is awarded by the Karolinska Institute. While in Physics, Chemistry and economics the prize is awarded by Royal Swedish academy of science.
- The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by Norwegian Nobel Committee. In Literature, the Swedish Academy grants the Nobel Prize while the Sveriges Riksbank prize is given in the field of Economic Sciences.
- Three people at maximum can share a Nobel Prize.
- Between 1901 and 2020, the Nobel Prizes and the Prize in Economic Sciences were awarded 603 times to 962 people and organizations. With some receiving the Nobel Prize more than once, thus making a total of 930 individuals and 25 organizations.
Candidates preparing for various exams can go through the following links for their preparation-
Nobel Prize Winners 2019 Highlights
The Nobel Laureates of 2019 are as follows –
|List of Nobel Prize Winners – 2019|
|Nobel Prize in Physics–
|Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences–
|Nobel Prize in Chemistry –
|Nobel Prize in Medicine –
|Nobel Peace Prize –
|Nobel Prize in Literature –
Facts of Nobel Prize
- The first woman to receive a Nobel Prize is Marie Curie in Physics.
- Rabindranath Tagore was the first Indian to receive the Nobel Prize. He got the prize for literature and was the first Asian to be awarded the Nobel Prize.
- C V Raman received the Nobel Prize in Physics.
- Mother Theresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Amartya Sen was honoured with Nobel Prize in Economics
- Venkatraman Ramakrishnan received Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Har Gobind Khorana received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
Candidates can check the list of Nobel Prize Winners in India in the linked article.
Questions on Nobel Laureates and Prizes
Q1. When was the first Nobel Prize Awarded?
Ans. The first Nobel Prize was awarded in 1901.
Q2. Who shared the First Nobel peace prize?
Ans. Henry Dunant of Switzerland, founder of the Red Cross, and the French parliamentarian and peace activist Frédéric Passy.
Q3. Who won the Nobel Prize 2020 in Literature?
Ans. Louise Gluck is awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2020.
Q4. Who won the Nobel Prize for discovering the method for genome editing?
Ans. Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna won the Nobel Prize for discovering the method for genome editing.
Q5. Who is the youngest Nobel Laureate to have won the Peace prize in 2014?
Ans. Malala Yousafzai is the youngest Nobel Laureate who received the Peace Prize in 2014 at the age of just 17 years for her struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education.
Q7. Which field was not included in the Nobel Prize category at the time when the prizes were first established?
Ans. Economics was not included in the Nobel Prize during the initial period. The first Nobel Prize in Economics was awarded to Ragnar Frisch and Jan Tinbergen in 1969 for their development and application of dynamic models for the analysis of economic processes.
Q8. The World Food Programme is honoured with the Nobel Prize 2020 in which field?
Ans. The Nobel Peace Prize 2020 is awarded to World Food Programme (WFP) for its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict.
Q9. How many people have been awarded the Noble Prize twice?
Ans. Four people have recieved the Noble Prize twice. Their fields and year received are as follow:
- Marie Curie (Physics – 1903, Chemistry – 1911)
- Linus Pauling ( Chemistry – 1954, Peace – 1962)
- John Bardeen ( Physics – 1956, 1972)
- Frederick Sangee (Chemistry – 1958, 1980)
Q.10 Who have been the ost controvesial recipents of the Nobel Peace Prize?
Among the most criticised Nobel Peace Prizes was the one awarded to Henry Kissinger and Lê Đức Thọ. This led to the resignation of two Norwegian Nobel Committee members. Kissinger and Thọ were awarded the prize for negotiating a ceasefire between North Vietnam and the United States in January 1973. However, when the award was announced, both sides were still engaging in hostilities.
List of Nobel Prize Winners 2020 PDF- Download PDF Here
Aspirants of various examinations must check Preparation strategies for Competitive exams.
Aspirants must have a clear idea of the entire syllabus for the various government exams and only then can they start their preparation systematically. So given below are a set of links they can refer to: