UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Target Olympic Podium Scheme
Target Olympic Podium Scheme UPSC
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (Department of Sports) had formulated ‘NSDF Target Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme’ in the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF).
The objective of the Target Olympic Podium Scheme:
A committee is now reconstituted with the objective of identifying and supporting potential medal prospects for 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games. Focused disciplines will be Athletics, Archery, Badminton, Boxing, Wrestling, and Shooting.
- Under the scheme, the selected athletes are provided financial assistance for their customized training at Institutes.
- These sports institutes will have world-class facilities and other necessary support to improve performance and higher position in medals tally for the country.
- Under it, a benchmark for selection of athletes is in relation to international standards.
- Abhinav Bindra Committee is set up with the objective of identifying and supporting potential medal prospects for 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games
- All athletes are being contacted proactively by the Department to submit their programs for grant of financial assistance.
- The programs received from athletes are vetted by the concerned National Sports Federation (NFS), coaches and experts.
- A Committee namely, ‘TOP Scheme Elite Athletes Identification Committee’ has been constituted for laying down elaborate norms for selection of the right candidates, review of performance and operation of the scheme.
Outcomes and Progress:
- The selected athletes will be provided financial assistance for their customized training at Institutes having world-class facilities and other necessary support.
- Benchmark for selection of athletes under the scheme will be in relation to international standards.
- There will be an annual/semi-annual review of the performance of selected athletes.
Customized training at Institutes having world-class facilities and other necessary support is being provided to the elite athletes, which would result in improved performance and a higher position in medals tally for the country in international sports events and mega-sports events.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.
|Khelo India-National Programme for Development of Sports|