Khelo India Programme is a national yojana/scheme for the development of sports in India. It was launched in the year 2018 by the then sports Minister Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore in Delhi. This program has been launched to take sports culture in the country to the next level.
Aimed at mainstreaming sports as a tool for national development, economic development, community development and individual development, the Union Cabinet approved the execution of revamped ‘Khelo India’ program by consolidating the ‘Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan’ (formerly called the ‘Yuva Krida & Khel Abhiyan’), the ‘Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme’ and the National Sports Talent Search System Programme’. The program strives to promote “Sports for Excellence” as well as “Sports for All”.
Candidates can know the detailed information about the Khelo India National Programme for Development of Sports on the Official Website (https://kheloindia.gov.in/).
This is an important topic for IAS Exam and other government exams.
Khelo India Programme
|Name of the event||Khelo India|
|Ministry||Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports|
|Year of Launch||2018|
|Financial Assistance||5 lakhs – 8 lakhs per annum|
|Applicability of Scheme||PAN India|
|KIYG 2020 Venue||Guwahati|
|Registration Process||To be annouced soon|
|Registration Mode||Online/ Offline|
Khelo India Categories:
The different categories under the Khelo India programme are given below:
- Playfield Development
- Support to National/ Regional/ State/ Sports Academics
- Community Coaching Development
- State Level Khelo India Centers
- Physical of school children
- Sports for women
- Annual Sport Competition
- Promotion of sports amongst people with disabilities
- Talent search and development
- Sports for Peace and Development
- Utilization and Creation/ Upgradation of Sports Infrastructure
- Promotion of rural and indigenous/ tribal games
Eligibility for Khelo India Programme
The eligibility criteria for the Khelo India program is given below:
- Candidates below the age of 17 can participate in the under-17 category.
- Candidates below the age of 21 can participate in the under-21 category.
To know more about other government schemes, refer to the linked article.
Objectives of Khelo India
- It will be a Central Sector Scheme (Scheme implemented by the Central Government machinery and 100% funding by the union government).
- It is a Pan India Sports Scholarship scheme covering the 1000 most deserving and talented athletes across the sports discipline, every year.
- Selected athletes will be entitled to a scholarship amount of Five Lakh Rupees for eight consecutive years.
- It is an unprecedented scheme, a first-ever plan to be implemented for creating a long-term development pathway for athletes.
- To enable the sportsman to pursue both studies and sports, the program aims at identifying and promoting 20 Universities in the country as centres of sporting distinction.
- For sports promotion, latest user-friendly technology would be used. Ex: Geographic Information System (GIS) for locating the sports infrastructure, a user-friendly website for indigenous sports, a National Sports Talent Search Portal and information dissemination for the purpose of sports training through mobile apps.
- To ensure maximum entries for organized sports competitions, the programme encourages the school and colleges to organize programmes of high standards.
- Forming an active population with a healthy lifestyle is also the focus of this programme. For this purpose, a National Physical Fitness Drive is planned where children falling in the age bracket 10-18 years will be checked for physical fitness. Further, activities to support their physical fitness will be planned.
- The aim is to impact the whole of sports ecosystem inclusive of sports economy, competition structure, talent identification, coaching and infrastructure.
- The programme plans to engage youth living in deprived and disturbed areas into sporting activities so that they will be mainstreamed into the process of nation-building and weaned away from disruptive activities.