Khelo India Programme is a national yojana/scheme for the development of sports in India. It was launched in the year 2018 by the then Sports Minister Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore in Delhi. This program has been launched to improve the sports culture in India.
Aimed at mainstreaming sports as a tool for national development, economic development, community development and individual development, the Union Cabinet approved the execution of the revamped ‘Khelo India’ program by consolidating the ‘Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan’ (formerly called the ‘Yuva Krida & Khel Abhiyan’), the ‘Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme’ and the National Sports Talent Search System Programme’. The program strives to promote “Sports for Excellence” as well as “Sports for All”.
Candidates can know the detailed information about the Khelo India National Programme for Development of Sports on the Official Website.
Kehlo India Programme Latest Updates-
- The Union budget reduced the allocation for sports by ₹230.78 crores for the financial year 2021-22. The ‘Khelo India’ scheme has taken a hit of ₹232.71 crores, with its allocation slashed to ₹657.71 from ₹890.42 crore.
- Khelo India Youth Games 2021 are scheduled to take place in Panchkula (Haryana) after the 2021 Tokyo Olympics (which is set to open on July 23rd). The government has announced that Haryana will host the 4th edition of Kehlo India Youth Games.
|Khelo India Youth Games – KIYG
Khelo Indian Programme is an important topic for IAS Exam and other government exams.
Khelo India Programme
|Name of the event||Khelo India|
|Ministry||Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports|
|Year of Launch||2018|
|Financial Assistance||5 lakhs – 8 lakhs per annum|
|Applicability of Scheme||PAN India|
|KIYG 2020 Venue||Guwahati|
|KIYG 2021 Venue||Haryana|
|Registration Mode||Online/ Offline|
Khelo India Categories:
The different categories under the Khelo India program are given below:
- Playfield Development
- Support to National/ Regional/ State/ Sports Academics
- Community Coaching Development
- State Level Khelo India Centers
- Physical education of school children
- Sports for women
- Annual Sports Competition
- Promotion of sports amongst people with disabilities
- Talent search and development
- Sports for Peace and Development
- Utilization and Creation/ Upgradation of Sports Infrastructure
- Promotion of rural and indigenous/ tribal games
Eligibility for Khelo India Programme
The eligibility criteria for the Khelo India program is given below:
- Candidates below the age of 17 can participate in the under-17 category.
- Candidates below the age of 21 can participate in the under-21 category.
Aspirants of the upcoming UPSC examination can go through the following links to prepare for the exam even better-
|Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS)||List of Sports Terms – Important Sports Terminology||List of Sports Cups and Trophies|
|Fantasy Sports In India||List of Countries and their National Games||Difference between Football and Soccer|
To know more about other government schemes, refer to the linked article.
Objectives of Khelo India
- It will be a Central Sector Scheme (Scheme implemented by the Central Government machinery and 100% funding by the Union Government).
- It is a Pan India Sports Scholarship scheme covering the 1000 most deserving and talented athletes across the sports discipline, every year.
- Selected athletes will be entitled to a scholarship amount of Five Lakh Rupees for eight consecutive years.
- It is an unprecedented scheme, a first-ever plan to be implemented for creating a long-term development pathway for athletes.
- To enable the sportsman to pursue both studies and sports, the program aims at identifying and promoting 20 Universities in the country as centres of sporting distinction.
- For sports promotion, the latest user-friendly technology would be used. Ex: Geographic Information System (GIS) for locating the sports infrastructure, a user-friendly website for indigenous sports, a National Sports Talent Search Portal and information dissemination for sports training through mobile apps.
- To ensure maximum entries for organized sports competitions, the programme encourages the school and colleges to organize programmes of high standards.
- Forming an active population with a healthy lifestyle is also the focus of this programme. For this purpose, a National Physical Fitness Drive is planned where children falling in the age bracket 10-18 years will be checked for physical fitness. Further, activities to support their physical fitness will be planned.
- The aim is to impact the whole of the sports ecosystem inclusive of the sports economy, competition structure, talent identification, coaching and infrastructure.
- The programme plans to engage youth living in deprived and disturbed areas into sporting activities so that they will be mainstreamed into the process of nation-building and weaned away from disruptive activities.
FAQ about Khelo India Programme
Has the Khelo India scheme been extended?
What is the financial assistance provided under the Khelo Inida scheme?
|Government Exams||UPSC Books|
|UPSC 2021||UPSC Notes|
|Swachh Bharat Abhiyan||UPSC 2021 Calendar|
|Static GK Articles||100 Difference Between Articles for Revision|