Tribes India is a recently launched online marketplace for tribal art and products of India. It is under TRIFED, Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India. This is an important topic for the UPSC current affairs and tribal issues segments. It is also important for several government exams.
Tribes India e-Marketplace:- Download PDF Here
What is Tribes India e-Marketplace?
Tribes India is the online retailing initiative of the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED). It was launched in October 2020 by the Union Minister for Tribal Affairs.
- The initiative aims to take on board about 5 lakh tribal producers to source a variety of handicrafts, tribal artwork, handloom products and various natural food products such as honey.
- The sourcing is done from individual tribal artisans and producers, tribal organisations/associations/self-help groups, NGOs that work with tribal people, etc.
- This initiative takes the products of tribal people to customers all over the country, and it is in the pipeline to make them available all over the world also.
- It helps showcase tribal products and produce, which otherwise, find it difficult to reach a wider market and reap economic benefits. It will also take the rich and varied tribal traditions and culture of India to a global audience.
- Tribes India has also partnered with tech giant Amazon in its Seller Flex program. Other tie-ups include with Flipkart and Government e-marketplace (GeM).
- This online platform is available on both mobile and web and is accessible to customers and producers who can register themselves on the portal.
- It also enables B2B contacts for tribal producers who can sell their wares to larger corporates or businesses, especially in the medicinal plants and minor forest produce segments.
- The categories of products include apparel & clothing, art, minor forest produce, bags, home & living, jewellery, stationery and others.
Tribes India Website:- https://www.tribesindia.com/
For more important links on tribal affairs in India, check the table below: