Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
DRDO successfully flight-tests QRSAM
- Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) today successfully flight-tested its state-of-the-art Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missiles (QRSAM) against live aerial targets from Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur.
- QRSAM is developed by DRDO, with a strike range of 25 km
- Its an all weather and all terrain missile.
- It can be used used as an anti-sea skimmer from a ship against low flying attacking missiles.
- Another important feature is the counter-measures against jamming by enemy aircraft
HRD Minister inaugurates TechEx
- Union Human Resource Development Minister, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ inaugurated theTechEx – technology exhibition at IIT Delhi
- TechEx was organized to demonstrate products and prototypes developed under the two flagship schemes of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) namely IMPacting Research, INnovation and Technology (IMPRINT) and UchhatarAvishkar Yojana (UAY).
- TechEx is a unique effort, which offers an excellent platform to the researchers to showcase their work and inspire them to do their best in their respective domains.
- some prominent among the exhibits were non-invasive and low-cost rapid TB diagnostics, artificial pancreas for closed loop blood glucose control of type-I diabetic patients, affordable cancer diagnosis/treatment, electric vehicle charger, etc.
- MPRINT scheme was launched in November, 2015 with a view to providing solutions to the most relevant engineering challenges by translating knowledge into viable technology (products or processes) in 10 selected technology domains.
- The domains are namely health care, energy, sustainable habitat, nano-technology hardware, water resources and river systems, advanced materials, Information and Communication Technology, manufacturing, security and defence, and environmental science and climate change.
UchhatarAvishkar Yojana (UAY)
- UchhatarAvishkar Yojana (UAY) was announced in 2015 with a view to promoting innovation of a higher order that directly impacts the needs of the Industry and thereby improves the competitive edge of Indian manufacturing.
- UAY projects are funded jointly by MHRD, participating Ministries and the Industry
- The scheme focusses on a viable industry-academic collaboration where industry shares a part of the cost of research.
Read previous ‘Best of PIB’ here.