On June 3, 2019, the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) released the exam calendar for the year 2020. The UPSC Calendar 2020 lists the 20-odd examinations and gives the following details for each.
- Date of Notification
- Last Date for Receipt of Applications
- Date of Commencement of Exam
- Duration of Exam
Aspirants should start their UPSC 2020 preparation as soon as possible. Check the linked article for free study material and preparation strategy.
For candidates’ reference, the UPSC Calendar 2019 can be viewed at the linked article.
Every year, the UPSC conducts several prestigious government exams including the IAS Exam. The IAS Exam (Civil Services Examination) is the common entry point for about 20 Group A and Group B services such as the Indian Administrative Service, IPS, IRS, IFS, etc.
The UPSC Calendar (Programme of Examinations/Recruitment Test), 2020 lists:
- Engineering Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2020
- Combined Geo-Scientist (Preliminary) Examination, 2020
- CDS Examination
- CISF AC(EXE) LDCE – 2020
- NDA & NA Examination (I), 2020
- Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2020
- Indian Forest Service (Preliminary) Examination, 2020
- IES/ISS Examination, 2020
- Combined Geo-Scientist (Main) Examination, 2020
- Engineering Services (Main) Examination, 2020
- Combined Medical Services Examination, 2020
- Central Armed Police Forces (ACs) Examination, 2020
- NDA & NA Examination (II), 2020
- Civil Services (Main), Examination, 2020
- CDS Examination (II), 2020
- Indian Forest Service (Main) Examination, 2020
- SO/Steno (GD-B/GD-I) LDCE)
The UPSC Exam schedule for different exams are given in the table below:
UPSC Exam Date 2020
The UPSC Civil Services Exam 2020 will be conducted on the following dates:
- Stage 1: UPSC Prelims – Sunday, May 31, 2020
- Stage 2: UPSC Mains – September 18, 2020 (5 days)
- Stage 3: Interview – (tentative) November 2020
In comparison, the UPSC exam dates for Civil Service Examination 2019 are:
- Stage 1: UPSC Prelims – June 2, 2019
- Stage 2: UPSC Mains – September 20, 2019 (5 days)
- Stage 3: Interview – December 2019
As per the UPSC Exam calendar, the three stages of the UPSC IAS Exam are spread over the better part of a year if one considers the date of notification and the final result.
As a first step, aspirants should go through the comprehensive UPSC Syllabus. While the IAS Prelims comprises 2 objective-type papers, the IAS Mains consists of 7 theory (descriptive-essay type) papers.
Also, the state public service commissions conduct recruitment exams for various posts in the state administration on the lines of UPSC. The Public Service Commission Exams are quite similar to the IAS exam when it comes to the exam pattern and the syllabus.
Candidates can check the details of the Public Service Commission exams at the linked article.
Usually, a period of 10-12 months is considered for the Current Affairs part of preparation. For e.g., if the UPSC Prelims 2020 exam date is in April, then candidates should go through the Current Affairs from March 2019 to March 2020.
For Civil Services Exam preparation, the grasp of Current Affairs is quite essential. Candidates can check the latest Current Affairs curated for CSE preparation, and also download free PDFs from the linked article.