August 17th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. COVID-19 Testing in India 2. Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 3. World Solar Technology Summit 4. Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
India exceeds 3 crore tests setting a new landmark.
- Expanded diagnostic lab network and facilitation for easy testing across the country have given a substantial boost in COVID-19 testing.
- The Tests Per Million (TPM) have seen a sharp increase to 21,769.
- While the cumulative testing rose from 1.2 crores in mid-July to 3 crores by mid-August, the positivity rate has seen a hike from 7.5% to 8.81% in the same period.
- Although increased testing will show an increase in the positivity rate initially, it is expected that (going by the Delhi experience), it will eventually lower when combined with other measures such as prompt isolation, tracking and timely clinical management.
- Aggressive testing is expected to lead to early identification and isolation of COVID-19 positive cases.
- This coupled with efficient clinical treatment should bring down the fatality rate. Hence, enhanced and timely testing is important to keep both the positivity and the fatality rates down.
- India’s recovery rate is also over 72%.
For more on the COVID-19 pandemic, click on the linked article.
ARIIA 2020 to be released.
- ARIIA is an initiative of the Ministry of HRD to systematically rank higher education institutions and universities in India on indicators related to Innovation, Startup and Entrepreneurship Development amongst students and faculty.
- It is implemented by the AICTE and the Ministry’s Innovation Cell.
- The idea behind ARIIA is to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship among the academia and the student community in the country.
- This is because innovation is being seen as the key driver of economic growth and social development since it can translate scientific knowledge into products, services and offerings.
- ARIIA ranking is expected to inspire Indian institutions to reorient their mindset and build ecosystems to encourage high-quality research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- More than quantity, the national ranking will emphasise on the quality of innovations and will try to measure the real impact created by these innovations in the country and also abroad.
- All recognized Higher Educational Institutions of India are eligible to participate in the ARIIA ranking.
- ARIIA 2020 gives prizes in six categories. They are:
- Centrally funded institutions
- State-funded universities
- State-funded autonomous institutions
- Private/deemed universities
- Private institutions
- Women-only higher education institutions (this category is included to bring gender parity in the areas of innovation and entrepreneurship)
What are the parameters for ARIIA ranking?
There are seven parameters with different weightages mentioned below:
- Budget, Expenses to Support & Revenue Generated (20 Marks)
- Infrastructures & Facilities to Support Innovations and Start-ups (10 Marks)
- Awareness Activities for Promoting Idea Generation and Innovation (20 Marks)
- Promotion and Supporting Entrepreneurship Development (20 Marks)
- Intellectual Property (IP) Generation, Technology Transfer and Commercialization (14 Marks)
- Innovative Learning Methods & Courses (10 Marks)
- Innovations in Governance of the Institution (6 Marks)
PM to inaugurate the first World Solar Technology Summit to be held in September 2020.
About the Summit:
- The First World Solar Technology Summit will be organized by the International Solar Alliance (ISA) on a virtual platform on the 8th of September.
- Ministers from all member countries of the ISA will attend the summit. It will also be attended by high-level dignitaries from the scientific research and development community, heads of global corporations, financial & multilateral bodies, think tanks and senior government functionaries.
- The summit will include many deliberations on low cost, innovative and affordable solar technologies.
- ISA would also be launching the ISA Journal on Solar Energy that would help authors from across the globe to publish their articles on solar energy, during the event.
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana in Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
To know more about the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, check PIB dated Dec 18, 2019.
Read previous PIB here.
August 17th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here