Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Institute of High Altitude Medicinal Plants (IHAMP)
Context: MoS Shri Shripad Yesso Naik and Dr. Jitendra Singh lay foundation stone of Institute of High Altitude Medicinal Plants (IHAMP) at Bhaderwah in J&K.
- Shri Shripad Yesso Naik said that the institute will be a pioneer in research about medicinal plants found at high altitude.
- The project will become a major source of income for the farmers in cultivation of medicinal plants.
Bihar’s capital Patna on board the game-changing container cargo circuit on Inland Waterways
Context: Patna witnessed a new landmark in India’s Inland Water Transport (IWT) sector with 16 TEUs of container cargo (equivalent to 16 truckloads) belonging to food giants PepsiCo India and Emami Agrotech Ltd from Kolkata reaching the city’s Gaighat IWT terminal on river Ganga.
- Patna and upcoming IWAI terminal at Kalughat to emerge as new hub for trade up to Nepal with river Gandak announced as National Waterway 37
- Plans are at an advanced stage to operationalize Patna-Varanasi sector of NW-1 for container cargo movement. Container cargo transport comes with several inherent advantages
- It also reduces the handling cost, allows easier modal shift, reduces pilferages and damage, it also enables cargo owners to reduce their carbon footprints.
- The Ministry of Shipping is developing NW-1 (River Ganga) under jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP) from Haldia to Varanasi (1390 Km) with the technical and financial assistance of the World Bank at an estimated cost of Rs 5369 crore.
Third Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards
Context: The NITI Aayog is organising the Third Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards 2018 and is launching the upgraded portal of theWomen Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP)
- The Women Transforming India Awards were instituted to recognise and celebrate stories of exemplary women from across India.
- This year’s theme is “Women and Entrepreneurship” and fifteen winners have been chosen through an extensive six-month long process to identify fascinating and inspiring stories of women entrepreneurs.
- The Women Entrepreneurship Platform seeks to transform the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the country and shall be a one-stop resource centre for future and budding women entrepreneurs.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.