Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Science Communicators’ Meet
As a part of the on-going Indian Science Congress, 2019, Science Communicators’ Meet was inaugurated by the Union Minister for Law & Justice and Electronics & Information Technology, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad at Lovely Professional University in Jalandhar.
Highlights of Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad’s speech:
- He informed that India’s ranking in global innovation index has jumped from 81st in 2015 to 60th in 2017 and 57th in 2018.
- He also informed that India is now at the 6th position in scientific publications and 10th in patent filing.
- He informed that digital payments have surged to 8 folds in the last five years to 2070 crores. There has been 2048% growth in Aadhar Enabled Payment System transactions while transactions in UPI grew 1500 times in the last 24 months.
Aim of the Science Communicators’ Meet:
- The aim of the Science Communicators’ Meet is to cultivate and build up a more closely knit science communication community in the country responsible for disseminating science information to all stakeholders.
- The specific objective of the meet is to bring different science communicators together to discuss the development and optimum utilization of existing & new media and arenas in order to strengthen the dialogue between the research community and the society.
- The Communicators’ meet will provide opportunities for practitioners of science communication to discuss communication strategies receive critical feedback and spread the scientific way of thinking among people and make science accessible to them.
Women Science Congress
Minister of Textiles & Industry Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani inaugurated the Women’s Science Congress as a part of the on-going Indian Science Congress,2019 with the focal theme “Future India: Science and Technology. The Women’s Science Congress has been organised to showcase the contribution of women in Science, Technology and the Society.
27th edition of the World Book Fair
Union Minister for Human Resource Development Shri Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the 27th edition of the New Delhi World Book Fair 2019. It is organised by National Book Trust (NBT), under Ministry of Human Resource Development in association with India Trade Promotion Organisation.
- Sharjah – the Guest of Honour for this year’s Book Fair.
- The theme of the book fair is ‘Books for Readers with Special Needs’
To ensure easier availability of FASTags, Indian Highways Management Company Ltd. (IHMCL), a company promoted by NHAI, is signing MoUs with state-run Oil Marketing Companies (IOCL, BPC, and HPC) for issuance of FASTags through petroleum retail outlets.
To further supplement the use of FASTags , IHMCL is also planning the launch of two mobile applications – MyFASTag and IHMCLPOS. These apps will enable customers to link the FASTags with their preferred bank account, recharge the FASTag via UPI platform, and also ensure that the tags are bank neutral.
Benefits of these measures:
- These measures will eventually help NHAI cater to its commitment of providing a safe, smooth and seamless journey to commuters on National Highways.
- The enhanced adoption of FASTag program will increase user convenience by offering seamless toll-fee payments at Plazas and thus help save time, money and fuel.
- The online payments will improve transparency of toll transactions, reduce revenue leakages, and improve overall efficiency and commercial competitiveness.
- IHMCL is also striving for the vision of One Nation – One Tag by aligning with various State Authorities/SPV to ensure that FASTag becomes the preferred digital payment instrument at State/Municipal Plazas.
FASTag is device that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from prepaid or savings account linked to it. It is affixed on the windscreen of vehicle and enables the commuter to drive through toll plazas, without stopping for cash transactions.
A ‘yellow’ alert has been sounded for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands as a cyclonic storm PABUK is moving towards the archipelago.
- Pabuk is a name given by Laos and means a ‘big fresh water fish’.
- Pabuk originated over the Gulf of Thailand(south china sea –pacific ocean) and neighbourhood, moved west north-westwards with a speed of 10 kmph and lay centred over Thailand and neighbourhood.
Status Yellow Weather Alert – Be Aware
- The concept behind YELLOW level weather alerts is to notify those who are at risk because of their location and/or activity, and to allow them to take preventative action.
Status Orange Weather Alert – Be Prepared
- This category of ORANGE level weather warnings is for weather conditions which have the capacity to impact significantly on people in the affected areas
Status Red Weather Alert – Take Action
- The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.