UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Global Innovation Index (GII)
The Global Innovation Index (GII) is a global ranking for their success in and capacity for innovation. It is published by a specialized agency of the United Nations – the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) in association with Cornell University and graduate business school INSEAD. The index ranks countries based on 80 indicators, ranging from intellectual property filing rates to Research and Development. online creativity, mobile application creation. computer software spending, education spending, scientific & technical publications and ease of starting a business.
- The GII was published for the first time in 2007. The Index is published annually ever since.
- GII is considered a leading benchmarking tool for policymakers, business executives and the others looking for insight into the state of innovation around the globe.
- The index is being used by them to evaluate progress on a continual basis.
India’s Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is one of the knowledge partners which assists the GII team in bringing out the annual ranking.
India’s ranking in Global Innovation Index 2018
- GII 2018 is the 11th edition of the index released annually.
- As per GII 2018, India is placed 57th out of 130 countries being evaluated, making it the top-ranked economy in South and Central Asia.
- India has been consistently moving up the ranks. As per GII 2017, India was placed at the 60th rank.
- India has fared well in indicators such as growth rate of GDP per worker, creative goods export, export of services and Information & Communication Technology etc
- The areas that need improvement to help the country better the rankings are political stability, overall education, environmental performance, ease of starting business etc.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.
|Global Talent Competitiveness Index|
|Commonwealth Innovation Index|
|Inclusive Development Index|
|India’s Ranking in various Indices|