Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Womaniya on Government e Marketplace
Recently Government e Marketplace (GeM) has launched “Womaniya on GeM”.
What is it?
- It is an initiative to enable women entrepreneurs and women self-help groups (WSHGs) to sell handicrafts and handloom, accessories, jute and coir products, home décor and office furnishings, directly to various Government ministries, departments and institutions.
- The initiative seeks to develop women entrepreneurship on the margins of society to achieve gender-inclusive economic growth.
Government e Marketplace is a 100 percent government-owned company set up under the aegis of Ministry of Commerce and Industry for procurement of common use goods and services by Government ministries, departments and CPSEs.
Govt. to launch an end-to-end prediction system for predicting thunderstorms/lightning by April 2019
Last year during the pre monsoon season a series of thunderstorm/dust storm affected the northern states and claimed about 200 lives. In view of this, the India Meteorological Department will be implementing an end-to-end prediction system for predicting thunderstorms/lightning by April 2019.
Who are developing?
- Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) and IMD are developing prediction tools for thunderstorm/lightning.
- IITM Pune also developed a Mobile App called “DAMINI” to give alerts on impending lightning activity over the area.
9th International Conference on micro irrigation to be held at Aurangabad
Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Government of India is organizing the 9th International Micro Irrigation Conference on Modern Agriculture at Aurangabad in Maharashtra. in association with International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), Indian National Committee on Surface Water (INCSW) and WAPCOS Limited.
- The government of Fiji will be the Special Invitees.
About the event:
- The event will be a multi-disciplinary dialogue in the form of a conference discussing issues related to micro irrigation for modern agriculture and various related issues like new techniques in micro irrigation for increased crop productivity, micro irrigation in cluster level farming etc.
- A large group of eminent international and national experts and local farmers will be sharing their experiences in the fields of latest developments in micro irrigation technology to enhance crop production and water management for optimal use in agriculture, technical and sociological interventions for sustainable water, food & agriculture.
- The Conference will provide a forum for discussions and deliberation through seminars, exhibitions and sessions and will serve to build awareness regarding large-scale use of micro irrigation, strategies for water conservation, advanced crop technology, engineering techniques, etc.
Prime Minister to inaugurate the project “Development of spiritual circuit: in Kerala
About the circuit:
It circuit includes Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple – Aranmula – Sabarimala and being implemented under the Swadesh Drashan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
About Swadesh Darshan Scheme:
Swadesh Darshan scheme is one of the flagship schemes of Ministry of Tourism for development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned and prioritised manner. Under this scheme, the Government is focussing on development of quality infrastructure in the country with objective of providing better experience and facilities to the visitors on one hand and on other hand fostering the economic growth.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.