Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
UNNATI– Unispace Nanosatellite Assembly & Training Programme of ISRO Inaugurated in Bengaluru
Union Minister of State for Atomic Energy and Space inaugurated the UNNATI- (Unispace Nanosatellite Assembly & Training) programme organized by ISRO in Bengaluru.
Details of the programme:
- UNNATI, a capacity building programme on Nanosatellite development, is an initiative by ISRO to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first United Nations conference on the exploration and peaceful uses of outer space (UNISPACE-50).
- The programme provides opportunities to the participating developing countries to strengthen in assembling, integrating and testing of Nanosatellite.
- UNNATI programme is planned to be conducted for 3 years by U.R. Rao Satellite Centre of ISRO in 3 batches and will target to benefit officials of 45 countries.
The primary objectives of the programme are:
- To offer a simplified and increased exposure to satellite fabrication technologies, as part of the UNISPACE initiative.
- To provide theoretical course on satellite technology.
- To provide intensive course on nano satellite realisation, covering mission aspects, design, fabrication, assembly, integration & testing.
- To provide hands-on training to assemble, integrate and test a low cost, modular nano satellite.
The Department of Space (DoS) was established by the Government of India in1972 to promote development of space science and technology and its application for national development. ISRO is the primary agency under the Department of Space for executing its space programmes.
About U. R. Rao Satellite Centre:
U.R. Rao Satellite Centre (URSC), Bengaluru is the lead centre of ISRO for design, development and integration of satellites for communication, remote sensing, navigation and scientific studies.
UNOOSA (United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs) works to promote international cooperation in the peaceful uses and exploration of space. It also promotes the utilisation of space science and technology for sustainable economic and social development. The Office assists any United Nations Member State to establish legal and regulatory frameworks to govern space activities.
Silver Jubilee Celebrations of the Small Farmers’ Agri-Business Consortium (SFAC)
The Government established Small Farmers’ Agri-Business Consortium (SFAC) as a Society in January 1994 to facilitate agri-business ventures by catalysing private investment through Venture Capital Assistance (VCA) Scheme in close association with financial institutions.
Role of SFAC:
The role of State SFACs is to aggressively promote agribusiness project development in their respective States. The main functions of SFAC are:
- Promotion of development of small agribusiness through VCA scheme;
- Helping formation and growth of Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) / Farmer Producer Companies (FPCs);
- Improving availability of working capital and development of business activities of FPOs/FPCs through Equity Grant and Credit Guarantee Fund Scheme;
- Implementation of National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) Electronic Trading platform.
- To catalyse agro-industrial growth in the country based on the principles of:
(a) Ecological sustainability
(b) Economic efficiency
(c) Social equity
- To undertake or assist in undertaking programs for employment generation, growth and diversification of agriculture & agro-based industries to increase food production and export of agriculture products, in both primary and processed forms.
- To identify and promote post-harvest processing/manufactures units in the public, private and cooperative sector.
- To promote organization of marketing chain both for domestic and export marketing.
- To influence Government policies for agriculture, thereby increasing the flow of resources and augmenting the rate of capital formation in agriculture sector.
- To pave the way for establishment of integrated producers’ organizations with forward and backward linkages.
- To prepare, print and publish papers, periodicals, monographs in furtherance of the objectives of the society.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.