ISRO–BHEL sign TTA
- ISRO and Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has entered into a Technology Transfer Agreement (TTA) to transfer the technology for the manufacture of space grade Li-Ion cells.
- ISRO uses Li-Ion batteries as power sources for satellite and launch vehicle applications due to their high energy density, reliability and long cycle life.
- This Li-ion cell Technology Transfer will enable BHEL to produce space grade Li-Ion cells which can meet the country’s space programme requirements.
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) of ISRO at Thiruvananthapuram has successfully developed the technology to produce space grade Li-ion cell, demonstrated the performance of the cell under various testing conditions and established its cycle life characteristics in accelerated mode.
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has organized a National Consultation on Swajal Community Approach to Rural Water.
- Swajal is a model for self-ownership and self-management of water resources in a community by members of the community itself.
- The Swajal model was first tried in the Uttarakhand area of undivided-UP around 20 years back, and is now being scaled up at national level with special focus on water-scarce areas.
- The main objective of the re-launch of the initiative, is to make an effort to deliver tapped water to every household in the country through decisions made by the community, for the community, of the resources of the community.
First Indian Sign Language Dictionary of 3000 Words
- “First Indian Sign Language Dictionary of 3000 words” was launched by Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot.
- Indian Sign Language Research & Training Centre (ISLR&TC) under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), M/o Social Justice & Empowerment has developed this dictionary.
- The ISL dictionary has focused on providing more information in Indian Sign Language.
- As per the census 2011, there are 50, 71,007 Deaf people and 19, 98,535 with speech disability in India.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.