May 11th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Union Minister addressed the Indo-Bangladesh “Virtual Conference” organised by ASSOCHAM.
Read more on Indo-Bangladesh relations here.
- The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) is one of the apex trade associations of India.
- The organisation represents the interests of trade and commerce in India, and acts as an interface between issues and initiatives.
- The goal of the organisation is to promote domestic and international trade.
- It was established in 1920.
Government extends last date for receipt of nominations for the Gandhi Peace Prize 2020 up to 15.6.2020.
- The Ministry of Culture invites nominations for awarding the Gandhi Peace Prize every year.
- The nominations are to be made in accordance with the provisions of the Code of Procedure for Gandhi Peace Prize as prescribed by the Ministry.
- For the year 2020, the last date for receiving the nominations was 30th April 2020. Due to COVID-19 lockdown throughout the country, the last date has now been extended.
About the Gandhi Peace Prize:
- The International Gandhi Peace Prize, named after Mahatma Gandhi, is awarded annually by the Government of India.
- As a tribute to the ideals espoused by Gandhi, the Government of India launched the Prize in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mohandas Gandhi.
- This is an annual award given to individuals and institutions for their contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- The award carries ₹ 1 Crore (10 million) in cash, convertible in any currency in the world, a plaque and a citation.
- It is open to all persons regardless of nationality, race, creed or gender.
- A jury consisting of the Prime Minister of India, the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, the Chief Justice of India, Speaker of the Lok Sabha and one other eminent person decides the awardee each year.
- If it is considered that none of the proposals or nominations merit recognition, the jury is free to withhold the award for that year; the award was withheld in the years from 2006 to 2012 inclusive.
- The first recipient of the award was Tanzanian leader Julius Nyerere, in 1995.
- The latest recipient (in 2018) was Yōhei Sasakawa of Japan, for his work in leprosy eradication in India and across the world.
- Other awardees include ISRO, Ramakrishna Mission, Akshaya Patra Foundation, Sulabh International, Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela, etc.
Note: This award is different from the Gandhi Peace Award which is given by a private American organisation.
The social security scheme Atal Pension Yojana has completed five years of implementation.
About Atal Pension Yojana:
- The scheme focuses on providing old age security to the unorganised workers who are not covered under any of the social security schemes.
- For more on the Atal Pension Yojana, click on the linked article.
CSIR – National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL), Bengaluru develop BiPAP Non-Invasive Ventilator “SwasthVayu” in 36 days for COVID-19.
- BiPAP Non-Invasive ventilator is a microcontroller-based precise closed-loop adaptive control system with a built-in biocompatible “3D printed manifold & coupler” with HEPA filter (Highly Efficient Particulate Air Filter).
- It has features like Spontaneous, CPAP, Timed, AUTO BIPAP modes with provision to connect oxygen concentrator or enrichment unit externally.
- The system has been certified for safety and performance by NABL accredited agencies.
- The system has undergone stringent biomedical tests and beta clinical trials at NAL Health Centre.
- The major advantage of this machine is that it is simple to use without any specialized nursing, cost-effective, compact and configured with mainly indigenous components.
- This is ideal for treating COVID-19 patients in wards, make shift hospitals, dispensaries and homes in the current Indian COVID-19 scenario.
- CSIR-NAL is in talks with public and private companies for its mass production.
May 11th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
|UPSC 2020||Government Exams|
|UPSC Current Affairs Quiz||UPSC Prelims Exam|
|UPSC Monthly Magazine for Current Affairs||IAS Eligibility|
Read more PIB articles here.