Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
PSLV successfully launches RISAT
- India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle successfully launched the RISAT-2B satellite from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- ISRO is now gearing up for the launch of Chandrayaan-2 onboard GSLV MkIII
- RISAT-2B is a radar imaging earth observation satellite weighing about 615 kg.
- The satellite is intended to provide services in the field of Agriculture, Forestry and Disaster Management.
MoU for Joint Collaboration on Cancer Research
- The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), M/o Science and Technology and the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India today signed an MOU for supporting joint collaborative research programmes in the area of Cancer.
Details of MOU
- This MOU shall help strengthen the various initiatives specifically for cancer viz.
- Strategizing and prioritizing cancer research, development of new and affordable technologies, jointly design and fund clinical trials, coordinate and collaborate for translational research, interventions, training of manpower and infrastructure development.
- The clinicians shall work in coherence with Researchers to identify and develop collaborative research programmes and public health initiatives for awareness of the public at large.
- Various activities like joint clinical fellowships, intensive workshops on clinical research methodologies and protocol development shall work towards creating a community of trained manpower and provide a platform to utilize their acquired skills in the best possible manner.
Successful Firing of BrahMos Air Launched Missile
Today, IAF successfully fired the BrahMos air version missile from its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
Details of the launch
- The launch from the aircraft was smooth and the missile followed the desired trajectory before directly hitting the land target.
- The air launched BrahMos missile is a 2.5 ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile with ranges of close to 300 km, designed and developed by BAPL.
- The IAF became the first Air Force in the world to have successfully fired an air launched 2.8 Mach surface attack missile of this category on a sea target.