Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam
Prime Minister interacts with the members of his Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC)
Context: The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, on 13th November 2018 met and interacted with the members of his Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC).
- This Council renders advice on all matters related to Science, Technology and Innovation and monitors the implementation of the Prime Minister’s vision on these issues.
- This Council will facilitate the formulation and implementation of policies and decisions, provide action-oriented and future preparedness advise and assist in directing S&T to solve the socio-economic problems in the country.
- Council will also have a large focus on driving innovation in education, research, industry etc.
- The Prime Minister emphasized that the benefits of science, technology and innovation must reach the common man, solve common day-to-day problems, and facilitate ease of living for the people of India.
- The Prime Minister called for development of suitable platforms and mechanisms which can identify and nurture scientific talent among schoolchildren, and link them to Atal Tinkering Labs at the district and regional level
- the Prime Minister mentioned some priority areas of research such as raising agricultural income, solutions for chronic and genetic diseases such as sickle cell anaemia, waste management and cyber security.
INDO-Russian joint exercise INDRA 2018
Context: The Tenth joint military exercise between Indian and Russia EXERCISE INDRA 2018 on combating insurgency under the aegis of United Nations (UN) is being conducted at Babina Field Firing Ranges, Babina Military Station from 18 November 2018.
Objective: The Exercise INDRA is aimed at sending a strong message to the world with an intent of appreciation of interoperability between Indian and Russian Armies for joint tactical level operations in the peacekeeping/enforcement environment under the aegis of UN.
2nd Startup India Investment Seminar in Beijing
Context: Embassy of India in China in partnership with Startup India Association (SIA) and Venture Gurukool organized 2nd Startup India Investment Seminar on 12 November 2018 in Beijing for fostering innovation and entrepreneurship among Indian youth.
Objective: The event was planned to expose Chinese VCs and investors to the promising Indian startups and also help Indian startups to reach out to the large Chinese investors for receiving investment for their companies.
Forty-two Indian entrepreneurs representing 20 Indian startups participated in the event and pitched before Chinese investors to make investments in their ventures. More than 350 Chinese Venture Capital (VC) funds, angel investors participated in a day-long pitching session and seminar.
Venture Capital Funds: A fund established in the form of a trust or a company including a body corporate and registered under the SEBI venture capital fund regulations which– has a dedicated pool of capital, raised in a manner specified in the regulations and invests in venture capital undertaking in accordance with the regulations.
Angel Investors: Angel investors invest in small startups or entrepreneurs. Often, angel investors are among an entrepreneur’s family and friends. The capital angel investors provide may be a one-time investment to help the business propel or an ongoing injection of money to support and carry the company through its difficult early stages.
Context: Union Minister for Minority Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi will inaugurate the “Hunar Haat” on 15th November, 2018 at India International Trade Fair (IITF) at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- Hunar Haat has significantly encouraged and promoted the rich traditional heritage of master artisans who had been marginalised for a long time
- Hunar Haat has significantly encouraged and promoted the rich traditional heritage of master artisans.
- Hunar Haat has been successful in providing national and international markets and employment-marketing opportunities to master artisans and craftsmen.
- Hunar Haat has become a credible and renowned brand where exquisite Handicraft & Handloom made by master artisans and various delicacies from across the country are available under one roof.
7th RCEP Inter-Sessional Ministerial Meeting concludes in Singapore
Context: The Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, led the Indian delegation to the 7th RCEP Inter-Sessional Ministerial Meeting in Singapore on 12-13 November, 2018. The Ministerial Meeting was held in preparation for the 2nd RCEP Leaders Summit to be held on 14th November 2018 in Singapore in which Prime Minister of India will be participating.
RCEP:The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) is a mega regional free trade agreement being negotiated amongst 16 countries, comprising 10 ASEAN countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) plus six ASEAN FTA partners, namely Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea and New Zealand.
- Ministers guided the negotiators to deliberate further on E-Commerce, Competition and Investment chapters where consensus could not be reached during this meeting.
- Ministers urged the negotiators to intensify their work with a view of narrowing gaps and finding balanced outcomes in the negotiations with the aim of concluding negotiations by 2019.
- Commerce Minister defended India’s interests effectively and secured maximum flexibilities. Both in STRACAP(Standards, Technical Regulations and Conformity Assessment Procedures ) and SPS(Sanitary and Phytosanitary) negotiations, India managed to obtain balanced outcomes in the application of the Dispute Settlement Mechanism.
DIPP hosts Global Digital Content Market 2018
Context: The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, is hosting a conference on Global Digital Content Market (GDCM)2018, on14th- 15thNovember 2018, in New Delhi
About: India has been chosen as a host nation for the conference by World Intellectual Property Organization(WIPO) due to the strong creative industry in the country in films, music and media. The focus for this year’s conference is the Asia Pacific region
WIPO: The World Intellectual Property Organisation or WIPO is a UN specialised agency created in 1967 to promote intellectual property (IP) protection and encourage creative activity all over the world. WIPO is basically a global forum for IP policy, services, information and cooperation. Currently, it has 191 member states. The governing bodies and rules are set down in the WIPO Convention of 1967. It is at present headed by Francis Gurry, who is its Director General. WIPO is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. WIPO has its origins in the United International Bureaux for the Protection of Intellectual Property which was established in 1893.
Objective: The aim of GDCM 2018 is to give industry stakeholders a platform to come together and discuss new avenues in the films, music, gaming and creative industry along with points of challenge that is presented due to thechanging creative landscape because of the disruption brought about by digital technologies
Secretary DIPP, Ramesh Abhishek, informed in the press conference that India’s rank in the Global Innovation Index 2018 has improved by 24 places from that of 2015 and now ranks 57th
MNRE circulates draft Indian Wind Turbine Certification Scheme (IWTCS)
Context: Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, in consultation with National Institute of Wind Energy Chennai, has prepared a draft of new Scheme called Indian Wind Turbine Certification Scheme (IWTCS) incorporating various guidelinesTurbine Certification Scheme (IWTCS).
About: The draft Scheme lists the guidelines for the benefit of all the stakeholders from concept to lifetime of wind turbine, including Indian Type Approved Model (ITAM), Indian Type Certification Scheme (ITCS), Wind Farm Project Certification Scheme (WFPCS) and Wind Turbine Safety & Performance Certification Scheme (WTSPCS).
Objectives: The IWTCS is aimed at assisting and facilitating Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), End Users -Utilities, State Nodal Authorities (SNAs), Developers, Independent Power Producers (IPPs), Owners, Authorities, Investors and Insurers, Certification Bodies and Testing Laboratories.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India through various policies and schemes has facilitated the healthy and orderly growth of the wind energy sector. The guideline for the recognition of the certification schemes in India by MNRE was paramount for the success of quality wind turbines installed in India.
- Type Certification of wind turbines plays an active role in ensuring that wind turbines in India meet the requirements of requisite IS/IEC/IECRE standards in vogue.
- Internationally, IEC /IECRE Certification schemes for wind turbines are well recognized and widely used and the IWTCS in its formulation has incorporated the rules and procedures of IS/IEC/IECRE.
Leadership for Academicians Program (LEAP) and Annual Refresher Programme In Teaching (ARPIT) for higher education faculty
Context: Dr.Satya Pal Singh, Minister of State, Ministry of Human Resource Development, launched two new initiatives; Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) and Annual Refresher Programme In Teaching (ARPIT) today at New Delhi.
LEAP: Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) is a three weeks Flagship leadership development training programme (2 weeks domestic and one week foreign training) for second level academic functionaries in public funded higher education institutions.
The main objective is to prepare second tier academic heads who are potentially likely to assume leadership roles in the future.
ARPIT: Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT), a major and unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.ARPIT will be an ongoing exercise so that every year NRCs will continuously develop new refresher module in their earmarked discipline each year. The training materials will be uploaded and made available through SWAYAM
SWAYAM: Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds programme is run by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, GOI. Professors of centrally funded institutions like IITs, IIMs and central universities will offer online courses to Indians. The courses would be delivered free of cost to those who need. However, if a candidate needs a certificate, a fee would be charged for that.
To ace UPSC current affairs section, read more PIB articles here.