November 25th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) 2. Platinum Partner Award for EPFO 3. Nyaya Bandhu App 4. Constitution Day 5. National Portal for Transgender Persons 6. PRAGATI
On 24th November 2000, the National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) was constituted.
To know more about NMPB, check PIB dated 22 Oct 2020.
EPFO conferred with Platinum Partner Award for highest transactions on UMANG App.
- The Union Minister for Electronics and Information Technology unveiled the newly instituted UMANG Awards for Partner Departments of Centre and States based on average transactions in the past six months across all services.
- The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has been conferred with the Platinum Partner Award for registering more than 25 lakh transactions on UMANG App.
- As a majority of EPFO members are from the socio-economically disadvantaged sections, an accessible and affordable solution was needed to reach out to crores of EPFO subscribers.
- Considering the popularity and ease of usage of internet-based devices like smartphones, Kaios feature phones, tablets and desktops, EPFO aimed to harness the potential of the UMANG app to enable easy and round-the-clock access to its services, especially to the subscribers residing in the remotest of locations.
- This led to the launch of EPFO services on UMANG.
- Using UMANG App, EPFO members can access 19 different services of EPFO on their mobile phones.
- A member can view passbook, activate UAN, raise claim, track claim status, apply for scheme certificate, seed Aadhaar with UAN, update Jeevan Pramaan, register grievance, search establishment, get EPFO office address, etc.
- For availing of these services, an Aadhaar seeded active UAN (Universal Account Number) and a mobile number registered with the EPFO is required.
iOS version of the Nyaya Bandhu App and its onboarding on UMANG platform to be launched.
- The Department of Justice had launched the Nyaya Bandhu App in 2019 to leverage technology for the Pro Bono Advocates initiative.
- Under the Pro Bono Initiative (launched in 2017), the Justice Department is institutionalising a framework for pro bono dispensation in the legal arena.
- The pro bono legal service was developed to accelerate and facilitate practising advocates to register and connect with the registered eligible beneficiaries and thereby, solidify the pro bono culture in the country.
- ‘Pro bono’ comes from Latin and implies ‘for the public good’. In legal terms, it refers to advocates giving free legal aid and representation to marginalised sections of society in line with Article 39A of the Constitution.
- By maintaining a database of lawyers who volunteer to give pro bono service, the Department hopes to inculcate a pro bono culture in the legal domain.
- The Nyaya Bandhu App helps leverage technology to remove any geographical barrier in availing access to justice.
Read more about the Nyaya Bandhu App in PIB dated Feb 29, 2019, under the headline, ‘Tele-Law and Nyaya Bandhu’.
26th November is observed as Constitution Day in India.
About Constitution Day:
- Constitution Day or Samwidhan Diwas is observed on 26th November to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India in 1949.
- The Day is being observed since 2015.
Also read: Constituent Assembly debates
Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment e-launched a ‘National Portal for Transgender Persons’ and e-inaugurated a ‘Garima Greh: A Shelter Home for Transgender Persons’ in Vadodara, Gujarat.
- The National Portal has been developed within 2 months of Notification of the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020.
- The portal would help a transgender person in applying for a Certificate and Identity card digitally from anywhere in the country, without any physical interface.
- The portal will help a lot of people from the transgender community to come forward and get Transgender Certificate and Identity Cards as per their self-perceived identity which is an important provision of the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019. Read more about the Act in CNA dated Jan 12, 2020.
Also read: National Council for Transgender Persons
PM chairs 33rd PRAGATI interaction.
Know more about PRAGATI in the linked article.
Read previous PIB here.
November 25th, 2020, PIB:- Download PDF Here