NDA Eligibility 2021 – The NDA eligibility criteria is decided by the Union Public Service Commission. Candidates willing to appear for NDA exams can apply for the same only if they fulfil the prescribed NDA Eligibility Criteria.
The eligibility criteria of NDA comprise four main aspects that are mandatory for applicants to fulfil. The four main aspects of NDA eligibility are:
- NDA Age Limit, Marital Status & Gender
- NDA Citizenship/Nationality
- NDA Educational Qualification
- NDA Physical/ Medical Qualification
This article will discuss the above mentioned NDA eligibility criteria in detail. Aspirants of Indian Defense Services must meet the National Defense Academy Exam eligibility conditions.
The UPSC prescribes NDA/ NA eligibility in detail in the official notification. Candidates can check the NDA Notification to dive deep for relevant details.
Aspirants of other Government exams can check the linked page for the latest information regarding upcoming exams.
Through the official notice, UPSC releases a detailed description of the Naval Academy eligibility condition mandatory for the exam. Aspirants must go through NA eligibility conditions because:
- Mere issue of Admission Certificate to the candidate will not imply that his candidature has been finally cleared by the Commission
- UPSC conducts verification of eligibility criteria with reference to original documents.
- Verification is done, once the candidate qualifies for the interview and Personality Test.
- The conducting body has the right to reject the candidature of the applicant at any stage of recruitment in case he/she is found to be not fulfilling the required criteria and,
- If the candidate is appointed, in such a case he/she is liable to be removed from service.
- A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary may be admitted to the examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him by the Government of India.
|Do you fulfil the NDA eligibility criteria? Check the links for assistance in the preparation of NDA exam-|
Detailed NDA Eligibility is as mentioned below:
Eligibility For NDA – Age Limit, Sex & Marital Status
NDA I Age Limit – Only unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 02nd July 2002 and not later than 1st July 2005 fulfil the eligibility for NDA exam.
|NDA Age Limit||Age for Unmarried Male Candidates|
|Lower Age Limit||15.7 years (not earlier than 02nd July 2002)/ 16 years during the commencement of course|
|Upper Age Limit||18.7 years (not later than 1st July 2005)/ 19 years during the commencement of course|
NDA II Age Limit – Only unmarried male candidates born not earlier than January 2nd 2003 and not later than January 1st 2006 fulfil the eligibility for NDA exam.
|NDA Age Limit||Age for Unmarried Male Candidates|
|Lower Age Limit||15.7 years (not later than 1st January 2006)/ 16 years during the commencement of course|
|Upper Age Limit||18.7 years (not earlier than 2nd January 2003)/ 19 years during the commencement of course|
To put it simply, candidates should be between the age of 16.5 years and 19.5 years to be eligible for the exam.
Important Note –
- Females and Married male candidates are not eligible to apply for NDA Exam.
- The date of birth mentioned in the application must be the same as that entered in the Matriculation/ 10th/ Secondary School Leaving Certificate.
- Candidates need to submit certificates for proof of age after the declaration of the result of the written exam.
- Candidates must undertake not to marry until they complete their full training. A candidate who marries subsequent to the date of his application though successful at this or any subsequent Examination will not be selected for training. A candidate who marries during training shall be discharged and will be liable to refund all expenditure incurred on him by the Government.
Candidates willing to appear for NDA examination must go through the detailed NDA Syllabus and exam pattern to kickstart their preparation.
NDA Eligibility – Nationality / Citizenship
Candidates willing to appear for the National Defense Academy or Naval Academy exam are required to fulfil the NDA eligibility condition in terms of Nationality Or Citizenship.
Only the aspirants who fulfil the following conditions of nationality will be allowed to appear for the examination.
- A citizen of India, or
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A Tibetan refugee permanently settled in India from and before January 1, 1962.
- A person of Indian origin migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Burma, East African countries of Uganda, Kenya, the United Republic of Tanzania, Malawi, Zaire, Zambia, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (2), (3), (4) and (5) presents a certificate of eligibility issued by the Government of India to the recruiting body.
However, the Certificate of eligibility will not be necessary in case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal.
Eligibility for NDA – Education Qualification
The Union Public Service Commission has set a minimum level of education qualification that a candidate must possess to be eligible for NDA examination.
Aspirants must have passed at least 12th Board exam to appear for NDA/NA examination. The detailed NDA education Qualification required is highlighted below:
|Education Qualification – NDA Eligibility|
|For Army Wing of NDA||12th Class pass of the 10+2 pattern of School Education or equivalent examination conducted by a State Education Board or a University.|
|For Air Force and Naval Wings of NDA & for the 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme at the Indian Naval Academy||12th Class pass of the 10+2 pattern of School Education or equivalent with Physics and
Mathematics conducted by a State Education Board or a University.
Important pointers –
- Aspirants appearing in Class 12th or equivalent examination are eligible to apply
- Aspirants who are appearing in the 11th class exam are not eligible for this examination
Aspirants of NDA exam can check the related links given below-
NDA Eligibility – Physical Standards
To fulfil the NDA Eligibility, applicants must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Examination as per guidelines mentioned in the notification.
The minimum acceptable height is 157cms (162.5 cms. for the Air Force), however, certain exceptions are allowed to candidates based on the region they belong to. The standard for height and weight based on the age-group is given below:
|Physical Standard For NDA|
|Height (in cm) for ARMY/AIR FORCE||Weight (in Kgs) for Different Age Groups|
|15-16 Years||16-17 Years||17-18 Years||18-19 Years|
- 10% variation on the higher side of average acceptable.
- Height relaxable up to 2.5cms where the Medical Board certifies that the candidate is likely to grow and come up to the required standard on completion of his training.
- Candidates from the hills of North-Eastern India, Gorkhas, Garhwal and Kumaon, the minimum height acceptable is 5 cms less than the above-mentioned figures.
- Exemption of 2cms in minimum height standard is given to candidates of Lakshadweep region.
Physical Standards for Navy
Aspirants who wish to join Navy are required to fulfil the following requirements –
- Sitting Height: The minimum of 81.50 cms and maximum is 96 cms
- Leg Length: The minimum of 99 cms and maximum of 120 cms
- Thigh Length: Maximum of 64 cms
Height and Weight requirements for Navy in detail-
|Height (In cms) for NAVY||Weight (in kgs) for Different Age Groups|
|20 years||18 years||16 years|
NDA Eligibility – Visual Standards
The following Visual standards must be met to be eligible for NDA exam:
|NDA – Vision Standard For ARMY|
|Distance Vision (Corrected)||Better Eye 6/6; Worse Eye 6/9|
|Colour vision||CP-III (Defective Safe).|
|Myopia should not be more than -2.5D
Hypermetropia should not be more than +3.5D
|NDA -Vision Standards for Air Force|
|Candidates who wear spectacle||Not eligible for Air Force|
|Minimum distant vision||6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in other
correctable to 6/6 only for Hypermetropia
|Colour vision CPI Hypermetropia: +2.0 D Sph Manifest Myopia: Nil Retinoscopic Myopia
: 0.5 in any Meridian permitted Astigmatism : + 0.75 D Cyl (within + 2.0 D.Max)
|NDA – Vision standard for Navy|
Also, aspirants must get themselves medically examined to ensure that they do not suffer from any of the following minor conditions as well-
- Wax (Ears)
- Deviated Nasal Septum
- Hydrocele / Phimosis
- Condition of Overweight / Underweight
- Under Sized Chest
The NDA eligibility in terms of physical and medical standards is much more than what is mentioned above. Hence, candidates are advised to go through the official notification for further clarification on National Defense Academy Eligibility Criteria.
NDA Notification 2020 PDF – Download PDF Here
Aspirants appearing for NDA exams must go through the Competitive Exam Preparation Strategies to plan out a good study schedule and leave no stone unturned for exam preparation.