NDA Salary 2023– After the application of the 7th Pay Commission, the salary of the National Defense Academy and Naval Academy has witnessed many changes. The benefits related to the pay scale of NDA candidates starts with the beginning of the training period itself. The stipend given to candidates during this training session at IMA is Rs 56,100.
This article shall discuss in detail the NDA Salary, Allowances, Perks and other benefits to candidates who join Indian Security Forces.
Further information on the NDA exam is available on the link provided here.
Aspirants of other Government exams can get the relevant information about other upcoming exams on the given link.
Aspirants who wish to join the Army, Navy, or Indian Air Force, besides fulfilling their dream to serve the nation, must be curious to know the detailed pay scale, allowances, perks, in-hand salary of NDA. Hence, the table below highlights the salary of NDA from trainee level to different ranks.
Stipend for Cadet Training of Army Officers and equivalent ranks in Air Force and Navy:
|Training Stipend – NDA||Stipend Amount|
|Stipend to Gentlemen Cadets during the entire duration of training in Service Academies i.e. during the training period at IMA.||Rs 56,100/ per month (Starting pay in Level 10)|
On successful completion of the NDA Training, the salary of NDA candidates in the Pay matrix of the officer commissioned will be fixed in the first Cell of Level 10. Candidates should know that the training period in NDA is not treated as commissioned service and arrears on account of admissible allowances (as applicable) are paid to the cadets for the training period.
Aspirants can check the NDA Eligibility Criteria in detail.
Rank-Wise NDA Salary
The rank-wise salary of NDA Army officers and equivalent ranks in the Air Force and Navy are as follows:
|NDA Salary – Army, Navy, Air Force|
|NDA Posts or Ranks||Salary of NDA Officer (Per Month)|
|Stipend during the training of the candidates in IMA||INR 56,100/|
|Lieutenant||INR 56,100/- to INR 1,77, 500/-|
|Captain||INR 61,300/- to 01,93,900/-|
|Major||INR 69,400/- to 02,07,200/-|
|Lieutenant Colonel||INR 01,21,200/- to 02,12,400/-|
|Colonel||INR 01,30,600/- to 02,15,900/-|
|Brigadier||INR 01,39,600/- to 02,17,600/-|
|Major General||INR 01,44,200/- to 02,18,200/-|
|Lt. General HAG Scale||INR 01,82,200/- to 02,24,100/-|
|HAG+ Scale||INR 02,05,400/- To 02,24,400/-|
|VCOAS/ Army Cdr/ Lt Gen (NFSG)||INR 02,25,000/- Fixed|
|COAS||INR 02,50,000/- Fixed|
Note – There is a fixed Military Service Pay – MSP given to the officers which are as follows –
|NDA Officers Military Service Pay||Amount|
|MSP to the officers from the rank of Lieutenant to Brigadier||Rs 15,500/ per month fixed|
Aspirants applying for various government exams can check the linked article for post-wise salary structure for examination.
|Bank Employees Salary||RBI Grade B Salary||RRB NTPC Salary|
|RRB JE Salary||SSC Salary||IAS Salary|
NDA Salary – Allowances & Perks
Apart from the salary of NDA officers, various allowances and perks are also accredited to them based on their field and nature of work and area of posting. Highlighted below are the NDA allowances and perks availed by candidates on joining Indian Navy, Army and the Airforce.
|NDA Allowances to the Cadets|
|Allowances to NDA Officers||Amount Payable|
|Dearness Allowance||Admissible at the same rates and under the same conditions as are applicable to the civilian personnel from time to time.|
|Kit Maintenance Allowances||INR 20,000/- Annually with Dress Allowances|
|Para Allowance||Rs 10,500/- Per Month|
|Special Forces Allowance||Rs 25,000/- Per Month|
|Para Jump Instructor Allowance||Rs 10,500/- Per Month|
|Project Allowance||Rs 3,400/- Per Month|
|Para Reserve Allowance||Rs 2,625/- Per Month|
|Technical Allowance (Tier-I)||Rs 3,000/- Per Month|
|Technical Allowance (Tier-II)||Rs 4,500/- Per Month|
Based upon rank and area of posting, NDA officers posted to field areas are eligible for the following allowances –
Field Area Allowances
|Field Area Allowance to NDA||Amount Payable|
|Highly Active Field Area Allowance – HAFA||Rs 16,900/- pm|
|Field Area Allowance – FD Area||Rs 10,500/- pm|
|Modified Field Area Allowance – Mod FD Area||Rs 6,300/- pm|
High Altitude Allowances
Candidates posted to Siachen are entitled to Siachen Allowance of Rs 42,500/- per month. Similarly, NDA officers posted to high altitude region are benefited with the following allowances –
|Levels of NDA Officers||Allowance amount|
|Category-I||Rs 3,400/- Per Month|
|Category-II||Rs 5,300/- Per Month|
|Category-III||Rs 25,000/- Per Month|
Transport Allowance (TPTA)
|Level||Higher TPTA Cities||Other Places|
|9 and Above||Rs. 7200/ Rs + DA thereon (Per month)||Rs. 3600/Rs + DA thereon (Per month)|
NDA Allowance – Important Pointers
- Higher TPTA Cities (UA) are Patna, Lucknow, Kolkata, Delhi, Kanpur, Hyderabad, Ahmadabad, Surat, Kochi, Bengaluru, Kozhikode, Indore, Nagpur, Pune, Greater Mumbai, Jaipur, Coimbatore, Ghaziabad, Chennai.
- The TPTA allowance is admissible to those service personnel of NDA who have been provided with the facility of Government transport.
- Officers of NDA in Pay Level 14 and above, who are entitled to use an official car, have the option to avail official car facility or to draw the TPTA of Rs 15,750/ +Dearness Allowance thereon.
- The allowance is admissible for the calendar months wholly covered by leave.
- The physically disabled service personnel will continue to be paid at double rate, subject to a minimum of Rs 2,250/ + Dearness Allowances.
Aspirants can go through the NDA examination related information on the following links:
The Pilots or Army Aviators serving in the Army Aviation Corps are entitled to a flying allowance (R1H1 of Risk and Hardship Matrix) at a rate of Rs 25,000/ per month.
NDA – Other Allowances
Apart from the NDA Salary, Dearness Allowances, Travel Allowances, Flying allowances etc. the officers working on the Indian Security forces are entitled to a few other allowances as well. They are –
|NDA Salary – Special Allowances||Amounts|
|Children Education Allowance – CEA||Rs. 2250 Per Month Per Child for two eldest surviving. This allowance is admissible from Nursery to class 12th.|
|Hostel Subsidy||Rs. 6,750/- per month per child for two eldest surviving only (admissible from Nursery to class 12th).|
|Ration in Kind||In Field Area and Peace Area to all Defense officers every month|
NDA – Monetary Benefits in Case of Mishap
In case any candidate in National Defense Academy or Naval Academy faces any unfortunate accident, then these are the applicable benefits in such a situation.
Compensation for Disability
- Monthly Ex-gratia amount of Rs 9,000 per month.
- Ex-gratia disability award of Rs 16,200 per month is paid in case of 100% disability.
- No disability award shall be payable in cases where the degree of disablement is less than 20%.
- Constant Attendant Allowance – CCA of Rs 6, 750/ per month for 100% disabled on the recommendation of Invaliding Medical Board (IBM).
Compensation in case of Death
- Ex- gratia amount of INR 12.50 Lacs will be paid to the NoK.
- Ex- gratia amount of INR 9,000/- Per month will be paid to the NoK.
- The Ex-gratia awards to Cadets (Direct)/NoK, will be sanctioned purely on ex-gratia basis and the same should not be treated as pension for any purpose.
NDA Salary- Insurance Policies for Officers
- At IMA, at the time of stipend, the Gentlemen cadets are provided insurance cover of Rs 75 lakh with a monthly contribution of Rs 5,000 (with effect from October 1, 2016, as per maint AGI scheme as the application to regular officers).
- A compulsory contributory group scheme, Army Group Insurance Fund provides an insurance cover for 15 Lakh rupees on payment of one time non-refundable premium of Rs 6,400 for 3 years. This has to be paid from the date of joining NDA until completion of training.
- In the case of relegation, an additional premium of Rs 1,160 per relegated term will be paid immediately on occurrence.
- For those who are invalided out from NDA by IMB on account of disability and not entitled to any pension will be provided Rs 7.5 lakhs for 100 per cent disability. This will be reduced to Rs 1.5 lakhs for 20 % disability.
- Those who are invalidated out from IMA by IMB on account of disability and not entitled to any pension will be provided Rs 25 Lakhs for 100 % disability. This will be reduced to Rs 5 lakhs for 20 % disability.
For less than 20% disability (in point 4 and 5), only an Ex-Gratia amount of Rs 50,000 for the initial year of training and Rs 1 lakh during the last year of training will be paid.
|Aspiring to appear for the NDA exam? Leave No stone unturned for your preparation! Check the links for assistance-|
NDA – Promotion Opportunities
Aspirants can go through the list below to know the NDA promotions given to Officers in the Army, Navy and Air Force based on their performance and years of service.
|Minimum Service Required for Promotion||Indian Army||Indian Navy||Indian Air Force|
|On being Commissioned||Lieutenant||Sub Lieutenant||Flying Officer|
|After 2 years of service||Captain||Lieutenant||Flight Lieutenant|
|After 6 years of service||Major||Lt Commander||Squadron Leader|
|13 years of service||Lieutenant Colonel||Commander||Wing Commander|
|On Selection||Colonel(Selection)||Captain (Selection)||Group Captain (Selection)|
|26 years of service||Colonel (Time Scale)||Captain (Time Scale)||Group Captain (Time Scale)|
|On Selection||Brigadier||Commodore||Air Commodore|
|On Selection||Major General||Rear Admiral||Air Vice-Marshal|
|On Selection||Lieutenant General||Vice Admiral||Air Marshal|
|On Selection||General||Admiral||Air Chief Marshal|
NDA Retirement benefits
Pension, gratuity and casualty pensionary award will be given in accordance with the rules in force from time to time.
NDA Leave Policy
Leave will be admissible in accordance with the rules in force from time to time.
Aspirants of NDA exam and other government examination can check the given links for assistance –
Check details related to Government exams after 12th in the given link.
For further assistance on preparation, strategy and tips, important books etc. look no further than BYJU’s.